Carey in defence | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Carey in defence

Apr 15, 2016
I only get to away games, but yesterday was the 3rd or 4th time I've seen Carey play defensive midfield in the first half. Each time, we've been overrun, we've changed system at half time, pushed him forward and been much improved.

My point is, why on earth does he play there, when he's inspirational further forward?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Northern Green":1icv6yvb said:
I only get to away games, but yesterday was the 3rd or 4th time I've seen Carey play defensive midfield in the first half. Each time, we've been overrun, we've changed system at half time, pushed him forward and been much improved.

My point is, why on earth does he play there, when he's inspirational further forward?

he is ordered to play that way by derek no doubt.

Apr 15, 2016
But why?

Songo'o looked like he had a point to prove, and was everywhere. But that, or centre-back is where he plays.

We had Sarcevic on the pitch, his 'pace' (plus ability in possession) makes him a good candidate for defensive midfield too.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Northern Green":3s6k8c6w said:
But why?

Songo'o looked like he had a point to prove, and was everywhere. But that, or centre-back is where he plays.

We had Sarcevic on the pitch, his 'pace' (plus ability in possession) makes him a good candidate for defensive midfield too.
i agree with your sentiment northern green.we are in good hands though albeit derek can be a little stubborn.

Apr 30, 2017
I don't think the Ness injury has helped Derek. I feel he would of recruited and would of decided on his opening few games lineup based upon those signings and I feel Ness will start, with his injury DA has had to return to the drawing board and try conjure up a plan B.

I think this season it will be 4-3-3 more often then not instead of 4-2-3-1. I think Fox and Carey will be 2 of the 3 but the 3rd will depend game by game. I like Sarcevic a lot and think he adds invaluable attacking impetus when he is involved. If we are at home to a team who are say mid table we will often play Sarcevic. But if away or at home to a biggie it will be between Songo'o and Ness for that final spot adding defensive solidity and cover.

Carey is being tried I feel as an alternative, due to his high defensive workrate but I don't think DA sees that as a long term solution.

Jul 3, 2013
I think there.is a big difference between defensive midfielder and somebody who needs to drop deep to try and get on the ball when you are being outplayed. Its what good players do to try and influence the game a bit more. In the ideal world he would be fed the ball by the ball winning players.

Sep 6, 2006
Stiffler":2aufb4w6 said:
I think there.is a big difference between defensive midfielder and somebody who needs to drop deep to try and get on the ball when you are being outplayed. Its what good players do to try and influence the game a bit more. In the ideal world he would be fed the ball by the ball winning players.

Exactly. Thats why he was back there. Obvious. He's not there as a a ball winner. That said I think it was him who got back late on and made a vital clearance when they broke away.