The Old Half Time Smoke Thread | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Old Half Time Smoke Thread

Jan 1, 2006
Plymouth
Having unfortunately smoked for many years (Not The Last 2......a vapour) I have always had a bee in my bonnet about having a fag break at half time.......was told football regulations state something about no smoking in footprint of sporting stadia which is enforced by Health and Safety officer at Home Park. As a regular Fan Feast goer this problem evaporated for me however I do consider fans that use other parts of the ground.

I last night went along to Reading with a Villa fan of mine and half time the main gates were opened so fans could go outside for a smoke (a lot of them as well and they must have needed it lol) So this as we know is a big modern stadia that is prepared to use some harris type fencing and stewards to oversee this half time break and keep everyone happy. I'm told this was the case at Bristol City the other week and I have been to quite a few away matches where the smokers have been catered for. Why oh why do we still persist in not catering for our fans they are all customers. Can someone please confirm why we are different.....it is a mistake

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Miles Bidgood":2dx1mm15 said:
Having unfortunately smoked for many years (Not The Last 2......a vapour) I have always had a bee in my bonnet about having a fag break at half time.......was told football regulations state something about no smoking in footprint of sporting stadia which is enforced by Health and Safety officer at Home Park. As a regular Fan Feast goer this problem evaporated for me however I do consider fans that use other parts of the ground.

I last night went along to Reading with a Villa fan of mine and half time the main gates were opened so fans could go outside for a smoke (a lot of them as well and they must have needed it lol) So this as we know is a big modern stadia that is prepared to use some harris type fencing and stewards to oversee this half time break and keep everyone happy. I'm told this was the case at Bristol City the other week and I have been to quite a few away matches where the smokers have been catered for. Why oh why do we still persist in not catering for our fans they are all customers. Can someone please confirm why we are different.....it is a mistake

It could be down to the lay out of the ground (where the away end is) they're most probably worried about it kicking off with rival fans.
I've often questioned to why people isn't allowed to smoke at half time

M

Monkey Nuts

Never really saw the problem with letting the smokers out at HT.... it definitely isn't a legal/ H&S thing, as loads of other clubs do it.

Some kind of portable fencing outside a couple of the gates and a couple stewards making sure no one sneaks in.... whats the prob?

Stevie Wotsa

✅ Evergreen
Nov 4, 2012
Devonport
There is absolutely no reason as to why we don't allow this. Absolutely none!

Look at the layout its hardly kenilworth road is it lol

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Had my first visit to Middlesboro last night and they do the same. Small bit of fencing on the outside and the steward gives out a ticket which you hand back to him when you go back in. I know Coventry do the same.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
I guess this is a niche thread but having given up two years ago and don't vape it doesn't affect me. What does affect me is smelling cigarette smoke in the Lyndurst during the game. So maybe giving the smokers an opportunity to smoke at half time might stop that happening.

Aug 30, 2016
Peverell
I can't see any reason why smokers shouldn't be allowed out of the ground for a few minutes at half time and readmitted on showing their ticket. We are, after all, supporters and customers not prisoners.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Give it up! Just think of the money you'd save! It would pay for your season ticket several times over! Now, where's that tin hat!!

Aug 30, 2016
Peverell
999mattyg":3lvtawxc said:
Give it up! Just think of the money you'd save! It would pay for your season ticket several times over! Now, where's that tin hat!!
A fair point but, luckily, I can afford both addictions, smoking and supporting Argyle.

May 16, 2016
There's enough moaning about how much beer / tea / grub is available at half time. Imagine the stewards having problems trying to get the last of the tabbers in before the second half starts so they can get to their 'positions' for the rest of the game. It must be about 2 quid a ciggie by now. Nobody would put that out before it's ready !

Who'll sweep up the dog ends ?

Opening the gates at half time might let people sneak out and avoid the Second Half - make then watch like the rest of us I say.

Aug 2, 2011
Bloke next to me said at the Charlton game at half time said he was going for a fag. He disappeared and eventually came back stinking of fag smoke as smokers do. Where he went I sont know but I had to put up with the smell for the next 45 mins. As far as I am concerned let em out and keep them out.

Jan 3, 2013
Presto":2tm3ghue said:
Bloke next to me said at the Charlton game at half time said he was going for a fag. He disappeared and eventually came back stinking of fag smoke as smokers do. Where he went I sont know but I had to put up with the smell for the next 45 mins. As far as I am concerned let em out and keep them out.

Blimey if he smelt for 45 minutes how many did he have? You must be a sensitive soul

Aug 2, 2011
I do not think fully appreciate how their clothes etc smells. If you do not smoke it is really unpleasant. Of course I am a sensitive soul - must be I have been going to HP since 1958 in those day you needed scissors to cut you way into the smoke in the buses.

Aug 10, 2006
Miles Bidgood":wccbzr0z said:

a lot of grounds do let supporters out for a cig at half time and I have stood with home supporters many times no problem and indeed argyle do out the back of the grandstand but only if you have a pass around your neck or a ticket to the fan's fest if not the rest of you can go fkuc yourself, just saying one rule for some one for the rest.