Do we need another Midfielder (not just a Striker)? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Do we need another Midfielder (not just a Striker)?

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
There's lots of talk about bringing in a striker or two, but I have some concerns about the centre of our midfield.

Fox and Sarcevic are capable, but there is little backup past the injury prone Jamie Ness.

That was one of the major issues in the cup defeat at Bristol City for me. We were far too lightweight and open through the middle of the park and City tore us a new one!

Fox is top class, but if anything happens to him, we're gonna struggle. Songo'o is not the answer and dropping Carey deeper will hurt us. I wonder whether a Boateng-type loan signing would help us... or maybe we can nick one of the Chelsea kids if one impresses tomorrow night. Personally though, I'd like a more experienced head in there to work with Fox, Sarc and Ness. There was talk of Stanley Aborah earlier in the window and I think he'd still be a good addition if DA can manage him.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Nope

Fox, Ness, Carey, Sarcevic, Songo'o, Oscar can all play there

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
100%.

Jamie Ness' injury record shows he can't be relied on at the moment to play a full season. Fox is getting older and moving up a league, cant be sure how he'll cope with the physical demands. Songo'o is useful for closing a game out if we're ahead with 10 to go, but nothing more. Threlkeld is too good at right back to play him in midfield. Sarcevic is great.

We haven't adequately replaced Carl McHugh in my opinion and it's about time we did.

Aug 3, 2017
If the budget would go that far, I can see where you are going but as Tugboat points out there are 6 players (not that I would want to see Carey so deep) for 2 positions already. I must admit, even though for some it's a second position we have cover.

Now we are no longer in a position of haemorrhaging young talent or selling it at a cut price. Why not be prepared to say the additional cover comes from the youngsters!?

Nov 4, 2012
Songo'o isn't good enough to play midfield. He just about scraped through there against League 2 opposition but you can already see the step up in quality. I'd say a striker and full back are the priorities. I Don't feel our back ups at full back or good enough. Miller did OK on Saturday and you Can't fault his effort but he offers little going forward and gets caught out for his lack of pace. I'll give ATS the benefit of the doubt for now but that was a poor debut against Bristol City. Another full back would then allow Threlkeld to play in midfield as and when necessary.

Oct 24, 2013
I think if the budget allows we could do with another. Would be more than happy with Stuart O'Keefe from Cardiff if Colin follows up that promise to help us.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
If we're struggling to finance a suitable CF then getting in another CM to cover injury wouldn't help that cause.

That's Songo'o territory

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Are we basing the Yann's not good enough for League 1 midfield on the basis of one poor game against a Championship side?
In my view he had his best games last season against the better sides in the League. He is never going to be a brilliant ball playing midfielder, but there will be times when we need a tough tackling no nonsense player just to protect the back 4 - that is a job he can do. So let's not label as not good enough, there will be times we will need the abilities he brings, just as we will Blisset, Miller and Wylde despite their lack of popularity. He might never be the first name on the team sheet, but DA often plays to soak up pressure, or plays to hold onto a lead, so we will need Yann as a midfielder on occasions.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Voice_of_Reason":3m16n736 said:
Are we basing the Yann's not good enough for League 1 midfield on the basis of one poor game against a Championship side?
In my view he had his best games last season against the better sides in the League. He is never going to be a brilliant ball playing midfielder, but there will be times when we need a tough tackling no nonsense player just to protect the back 4 - that is a job he can do. So let's not label as not good enough, there will be times we will need the abilities he brings, just as we will Blisset, Miller and Wylde despite their lack of popularity. He might never be the first name on the team sheet, but DA often plays to soak up pressure, or plays to hold onto a lead, so we will need Yann as a midfielder on occasions.

I'm basing it on the whole of last season. His shocking display vs Bristol City didn't help.

I personally don't feel we're in a division now where we can carry players who aren't good on the ball in our team. For 10/15 minutes closing out a game, maybe, but not as a starter.

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
Nobby":repdr16y said:
100%.

Jamie Ness' injury record shows he can't be relied on at the moment to play a full season. Fox is getting older and moving up a league, cant be sure how he'll cope with the physical demands. Songo'o is useful for closing a game out if we're ahead with 10 to go, but nothing more. Threlkeld is too good at right back to play him in midfield. Sarcevic is great.

We haven't adequately replaced Carl McHugh in my opinion and it's about time we did.
McHugh was sent off at the weekend

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
We must have attended alot of different fixtures last year Nobby. He was superb home and away against Pompey, excellent at home to Donny and heroic at Anfield. Yes most of those were in defence (did score v Pompey) but he has his uses. One poor display on a night where all 11 should hang their heads, doesn't make him surplus to requirements. There will be games that we will be crying out for his strengths - even in midfield

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Voice_of_Reason":zjopi0cf said:
We must have attended alot of different fixtures last year Nobby. He was superb home and away against Pompey, excellent at home to Donny and heroic at Anfield. Yes most of those were in defence (did score v Pompey) but he has his uses. One poor display on a night where all 11 should hang their heads, doesn't make him surplus to requirements. There will be games that we will be crying out for his strengths - even in midfield
Excellent away at Doncaster too.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Nope, what we have is more than good enough. Spend any money we may have on a striker please.