In the (unlikely) event..

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
We did threaten to get up into the championship anytime soon, are we likely to be in a position to give it our best shot in terms of finances etc or would the club still be required to 'balance the books'.

I know that we would be some distance from 80% of the league in terms of money and budgets but just interested what the general feeling would be if we did surprise ourselves this season or next.

Makes the need for the grandstand redevelopment and youth turnout even more so important in order to generate extra income to somewhat bridge the gap in revenue other that clubs are bankrolled with.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I would hope that balancing the books was the first objective after the experience of our last visit. However if we became the plaything of a multi billionaire.....

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Either way for me, continued prudence and not spending money we haven't got OR some Chinese billionairre flying in and telling all the football world that 'money is no object, we are going to buy the EPL'.

I know which is more likely, but either way I'd be a happy Pilgrim.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Yeah I agree, we didn't push for the Prem, which is why Holloway left and it all went downhill from there.

So maybe this time we will learn the lesson and gamble (All the other clubs do it) for the Prem.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
IJN":gjxe1x6i said:
Either way for me, continued prudence and not spending money we haven't got OR some Chinese billionairre flying in and telling all the football world that 'money is no object, we are going to buy the EPL'.

:lol: I agree, but wouldn't it be great if we could play in the Premier League (in our lifetime anyway), I think that would be worth a gamble.

Oct 24, 2013
r4h4al":7igob7qh said:
IJN":7igob7qh said:

:lol: I agree, but wouldn't it be great if we could play in the Premier League (in our lifetime anyway), I think that would be worth a gamble.

Would you take a season in the top flight if it put the future of the club at risk? Personally, I would take never seeing Premiership football at HP if it guaranteed my kids could take their kids to Argyle.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think you missed my nuance.

Sod gambling, it's what we can afford, whether it's through the gates (JB's way) or some stupidly rich maniac that wants to spend millions and millions on us.

Oct 24, 2013
IJN":vx2fbfcj said:
I think you missed my nuance.

Sod gambling, it's what we can afford, whether it's through the gates (JB's way) or some stupidly rich maniac that wants to spend millions and millions on us.

Well wouldn't that be nice! I did roll my eyes a little when in the recent Argyle Chat they asked JB what he would do if he were given a million pounds to spend at Argyle and he replied figure out a way to invest it such that it generated another million pounds. But, he's right.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":ohvfhat6 said:

How about if it was at the expense of "green" because the new owner wanted his favourite colour?

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
lyndhurst green":3oak9vrs said:
r4h4al":3oak9vrs said:
IJN":3oak9vrs said:

Would you take a season in the top flight if it put the future of the club at risk? Personally, I would take never seeing Premiership football at HP if it guaranteed my kids could take their kids to Argyle.

But it depends what your talking about here, I meant gamble a few million club which would not jeapordise the future of the club.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
r4h4al":1x6zjm9k said:
Yeah I agree, we didn't push for the Prem, which is why Holloway left and it all went downhill from there.

So maybe this time we will learn the lesson and gamble (All the other clubs do it) for the Prem.

You're wrong and it was going downhill before Holloway left. He knew the writing was on the wall which is why he bailed and it's no wonder. Why else were we even courting Gardner, Kagami and friends of f it wasn't our last and only option at that time.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Ok. So why did it go "wrong" then before Holloway left, it's not like we overspent is it, we did the opposite and were very prudent, at least that's what we all thought.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
If we were to lose our next game I suspect there will be a thread about the financial implications of going back to League 2 - lol