Brief Synopsis!!! (Charlton)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) And so to the first home game of the season. Good to see a good turn out from an away team that wasn't within 130 miles of Central Park. Surprised that Lameiras didn't start and the bench revealed the sparsity of talent to play up front.

2) Charlton dominated possession and their passing was a class above Argyle's. Luckily their number 9 missed two golden opportunities from set pieces whilst McCormick made a great save to keep the scores level and another that put him as the sand out player of the first half. The quality of Charlton play was off-set by a whole new level of diving and game play.

3) At the other end Argyle created a few good opportunities. A cross from Jervis that neither Blissett or Grant could get a touch to and a Carey free-kick that wasn't close enough to bother the keeper were the pick, although the goalie was brought into use by a couple of shots too.

4) Half-time with both sides on the attack - a Miller attacking header just over followed by a Charlton counter-attack. Miller had a solid first 45 and was unlucky to be booked for what was clearly a dive by the Charlton 11. Good halves for Sawyer, Fox, Sarcevic Jervis. Blissett not quite at the races but he was living off scraps. Carey wasteful in possession.

5) The second started with more Charlton possession but McCormick's kick down field was chased on by Blissett and Jervis. The Charlton defender conceded and Carey's corner was headed down by Edwards and Jervis finished.

6) As he half wore on Argyle began to look tired and it felt like fresh legs were needed. Charlton kept possession well all game and Argyle spent a lot of the game chasing. Grant and Jervis worked hard defensively as well as running a lot of channel balls. A Charlton player went down in the box. It was either a penalty or a booking for diving - the ref gave neither.

7) Into the last 15 and Argyle were sat far too deep. We needed to get up the pitch further but Blissett had neither he pace or guile to hold the ball up. Lameiras replaced Blissett, initially he went up front, surely he wouldn't stay there? Lameiras it was though that won the ball back twice on the edge of our area before setting Jervis on his way for a solo run which ended with keeper being unable to stop his shot from going into the corner to double the lead.

8 ) Charlton will probably feel they did enough to take at least a point. They found McCormick in form and a stubborn Argyle defence. For Argyle it was another lesson in the step up in quality and also that there is still no substitute for all round pace and quality finishing.

9) Into injury time and Argyle spent more time defending. Charlton got more desperate but couldn't find the ball that would open the defence. They resorted to lumping balls in which was never going to be effective. No time for Ness to touch the ball as Jervis was subbed in the 94th minute. A good win and we're on our way.

Luke McCormick - 9
Gary Miller - 7
Ryan Edwards - 8
Sonny Bradley - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 8
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 8
Jake Jervis -9
Nathan Bissett - 4

Roberrt Te Loeke - unused
Yann Songo'o - unused
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - unused
Jamie Ness - 5
Lionel Ainsworth - unused
Ruben Lameiras - 6
Gregg Wylde - unused

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
Mark Pedlar":1wb27swo said:
1) And so to the first home game of the season. Good to see a good turn out from an away team that wasn't within 130 miles of Central Park. Surprised that Lameiras didn't start and the bench revealed the sparsity of talent to play up front.

2) Charlton dominated possession and their passing was a class above Argyle's. Luckily their number 9 missed two golden opportunities from set pieces whilst McCormick made a great save to keep the scores level and another that put him as the sand out player of the first half. The quality of Charlton play was off-set by a whole new level of diving and game play.

3) At the other end Argyle created a few good opportunities. A cross from Jervis that neither Blissett or Grant could get a touch to and a Carey free-kick that wasn't close enough to bother the keeper were the pick, although the goalie was brought into use by a couple of shots too.

4) Half-time with both sides on the attack - a Miller attacking header just over followed by a Charlton counter-attack. Miller had a solid first 45 and was unlucky to be booked for what was clearly a dive by the Charlton 11. Good halves for Sawyer, Fox, Sarcevic Jervis. Blissett not quite at the races but he was living off scraps. Carey wasteful in possession.

5) The second started with more Charlton possession but McCormick's kick down field was chased on by Blissett and Jervis. The Charlton defender conceded and Carey's corner was headed down by Edwards and Jervis finished.

6) As he half wore on Argyle began to look tired and it felt like fresh legs were needed. Charlton kept possession well all game and Argyle spent a lot of the game chasing. Grant and Jervis worked hard defensively as well as running a lot of channel balls. A Charlton player went down in the box. It was either a penalty or a booking for diving - the ref gave neither.

7) Into the last 15 and Argyle were sat far too deep. We needed to get up the pitch further but Blissett had neither he pace or guile to hold the ball up. Lameiras replaced Blissett, initially he went up front, surely he wouldn't stay there? Lameiras it was though that won the ball back twice on the edge of our area before setting Jervis on his way for a solo run which ended with keeper being unable to stop his shot from going into the corner to double the lead.

8 ) Charlton will probably feel they did enough to take at least a point. They found McCormick in form and a stubborn Argyle defence. For Argyle it was another lesson in the step up in quality and also that there is still no substitute for all round pace and quality finishing.

9) Into injury time and Argyle spent more time defending. Charlton got more desperate but couldn't find the ball that would open the defence. They resorted to lumping balls in which was never going to be effective. No time for Ness to touch the ball as Jervis was subbed in the 94th minute. A good win and we're on our way.

Luke McCormick - 9
Gary Miller - 7
Ryan Edwards - 8
Sonny Bradley - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 8
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 8
Jake Jervis -9
Nathan Bissett - 4

Yann Songo'o - unused
Jamie Ness - 5
Ruben Lameiras - 6
Gregg Wylde - unused

Was Blissett really that bad?

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Good summary, but totally disagree on Blissett, I thought he did a good 7 out of 10 performance occupying 2 defenders and ensuring the ball generally stayed up there, far better in that role than anyone else we have fit at moment. Sarcevic easily a 9 out of 10 today.

And I think the sitting back was a deliberate and disciplined tactic that worked as we hit them on the back. They did not really threaten second half

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
McCormick 9
Miller - 7
Edwards - 8
Bradley - 7
Sawyer - 8
Fox - 7
Sarcevic - 8
Carey - 7
Jervis - 9
Grant - 8
Blissett - 6

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Personally, I felt we were much better than your summary. Yes, they had a lot of the ball but second half offered nothing. Our shape throughout was excellent. And we looked a threat down the flanks, particularly Jervis. Fox marshalled well. Sawyer - not a foot wrong all game. Jervis MOTM. A strong professional performance against a decent footballing side.

Aug 15, 2015
I thought we were reactive and lacking any tempo in the first half. Picked up in the second half but a lot of work to do. All the defenders look uncomfortable on the ball. Edwards did improve and has a passing range but Sokolik is our most composed ball playing defender. Gary Miller's distribution is awful and is simple not upto this standard.

I want to like Sarcevic but gosh he needs to improve. He simply has to contribute far more than he does or else we need to look at getting someone like Ness in.

Grant looks intelligent and recycles the ball well. Useful player. Blissett is far too nice for such a big lad. Our forwards unlike Charlton's are/were too rigid. Lacking fluidity.

Quite simple - performance devoid of any real energy or tempo initially. Lack of basic competencies and off the ball movement by the midfield. McCormick and Jervis our best players which tells you everything. Big improvement needed quite frankly. Very lucky to win.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Shoenice":2stxvjbz said:
I thought we were reactive and lacking any tempo in the first half. Picked up in the second half but a lot of work to do. All the defenders look uncomfortable on the ball. Edwards did improve and has a passing range but Sokolik is our most composed ball playing defender. Gary Miller's distribution is awful and is simple not upto this standard.

I want to like Sarcevic but gosh he needs to improve. He simply has to contribute far more than he does or else we need to look at getting someone like Ness in.

Grant looks intelligent and recycles the ball well. Useful player. Blissett is far too nice for such a big lad. Our forwards unlike Charlton's are/were too rigid. Lacking fluidity.

Quite simple - performance devoid of any real energy or tempo initially. Lack of basic competencies and off the ball movement by the midfield. McCormick and Jervis our best players which tells you everything. Big improvement needed quite frankly. Very lucky to win.

Performance devoid of energy?

You clearly weren't there.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Cobi Budge":qcky9k6c said:
Shoenice":qcky9k6c said:

Performance devoid of energy?

You clearly weren't there.

The way some people read the game so differently is mystifying! That was a very decent performance. Particularly second half where they ran out of steam not us!!

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Great match, great togetherness & team spirit.

Charlton reminded me of Pompey last season - lots of neat possession on the deck but lacking that end result thankfully.

Fantastic save from MoM Luke 1st half

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I was really impressed with Charlton in the first-half - whilst broadly even on chances, they demonstrated far more quality and control. We were thankful for McCormick and Edwards' interventions to go in level.

I felt that we pressed the ball noticeably harder after half-time. Sarcevic, Carey, Fox and Grant (who's workrate wasn't good enough in the first 45) were all over their midfield when they had the ball. This forced errors and gradually we took the ascendency. It wouldn't be Argyle if we didn't have the customary 15 minutes at the end of playing too deep, but that did at least leave space for Jervis' breakaway goal.

I thought the central defensive partnership looked promising and Sawyer all round was excellent. But Jervis gets the nod for MoM with his two goals.

Great result against a team I fancy to be up there come May.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
superb result which was thoroughly deserved against a good side.refreshing to see proper football played,no hoofing it up front and hoping.both full backs were very good and a great pairing in sonny and ryan,fox sarcevic and carey in the middle worked well with one stunning shot by graham that whistled wide.i thought nathan tried his best but hold the ball up enough.very impressed with joel grant and man of the match for me was jake.my ratings;

Luke McCormick - 9
Gary Miller - 7
Ryan Edwards - 9
Sonny Bradley - 7
Gary Sawyer - 9
David Fox - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 8
neymar Jervis -10
Nathan Bissett - 5

Yann Songo'o - unused
Jamie Ness - n/a
Ruben Lameiras - n/a X-ISLE bad news mate.ruben was wearing white boots. ;)
Gregg Wylde - unused

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
A Cracking game of football and a brilliant win against a really good team.

Luke's double save in the 1st half was superb as charlton looked a threat every time they came forward. I thought Edwards looked a rock alongside Bradley and Sawyer did very well against Holmes who must be one of the best wingers in this league.
Blissett worked hard but I think we're one good forward away from being a very strong team.

The whole team worked hard and There were no passengers out there unlike midweek.
Thought we contained them well in the 2nd half and looked the more likely to score with Jervis and Grant always dangerous when we got it to them.
Keep that level of performance up and we will do well this year.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Shoenice":2ja5gjsd said:

sokolik wasn't playing mate!