Argyle Games to be shown LIVE on tv? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle Games to be shown LIVE on tv?

Feb 8, 2005
Just reading the Indy and Graham Russell's views on another large increase in televised football (mainly Premiership), and the possibility of the Golden Goose killing the golden egg.

The Football League (EFL), meanwhile, is apparently willing to sell three times as many of its football games as it does now to the cameras.

They are offering an increase from 112 games to 324 games from the Championship to be available for television.

He goes on to say that separate talks are also being held with Amazon and Twitter to show EVERY league one and league two match live, except where there is a 3pm kick-off on a Saturday. So we will be able to view every local match, home and away, as it happens.

No hint as to what it will cost, or what effect that may have on gates and atmosphere, but there will be a choice of a £20 ticket on a cold Winter's night at Home Park or £5 for a watch in a comfortable chair at home.

The gamble is that the radical changes, which will include streaming to smartphones, will bring in more fans, but he warns of the danger of overkill.

I'm not too sure how this fits in with iFollow, but there appears to be a thrust towards showing all League 1 and League 2 non 3pm Saturday games live on television in some form or another, with the advantage for those overseas to see ALL live matches regardless of a Saturday fixture or not.

Not too sure how this will pan out. Interesting times ahead.

Some people call it progress.

Sometimes I do wonder!!!!!!!

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
jimsing":2880wdr7 said:
Just reading the Indy and Graham Russell's views on another large increase in televised football (mainly Premiership), and the possibility of the Golden Goose killing the golden egg.

The Football League (EFL), meanwhile, is apparently willing to sell three times as many of its football games as it does now to the cameras.

They are offering an increase from 112 games to 324 games from the Championship to be available for television.

He goes on to say that separate talks are also being held with Amazon and Twitter to show EVERY league one and league two match live, except where there is a 3pm kick-off on a Saturday. So we will be able to view every local match, home and away, as it happens.

No hint as to what it will cost, or what effect that may have on gates and atmosphere, but there will be a choice of a £20 ticket on a cold Winter's night at Home Park or £5 for a watch in a comfortable chair at home.

The gamble is that the radical changes, which will include streaming to smartphones, will bring in more fans, but he warns of the danger of overkill.

I'm not too sure how this fits in with iFollow, but there appears to be a thrust towards showing all League 1 and League 2 non 3pm Saturday games live on television in some form or another, with the advantage for those overseas to see ALL live matches regardless of a Saturday fixture or not.

Not too sure how this will pan out. Interesting times ahead.

Some people call it progress.

Sometimes I do wonder!!!!!!!
Give me a cold wet winter's night at Home Park any time.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
In other broadcast news - the EFL are not happy with Channel 5 choosing Colin Murray as the new presenter for the Saturday night highlights show, they were not consulted and have written to all EFL clubs asking them not to endorse Murray.

Previous presenters George Riley and Lynsey Hipgrave had their contracts cancelled.

The Mirror

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":162qpntw said:
In other broadcast news - the EFL are not happy with Channel 5 choosing Colin Murray as the new presenter for the Saturday night highlights show, they were not consulted and have written to all EFL clubs asking them not to endorse Murray.

Previous presenters George Riley and Lynsey Hipgrave had their contracts cancelled.

The Mirror

Oh FFS, I can't stand Colin Murray. Good job we get decent highlights on YouTube these days.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":28w5v5yx said:

The Mirror
I didn't like him on Talk Sport at first but he grew on me. Will clubs be really bothered who's presenting the show?

May 22, 2006
PL2 3DQ":1g1icuva said:

The Mirror

Yeah well we're not happy with the EFL choosing to force the U23 teams on us. I guess life's a bitch.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I wonder why the EFL have a problem with him.

At least he is a presenter who knows not to refer to Plymouth Argyle as just "Plymouth"

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Like Bob says, he grated on me first but got to really like him.

Man of principal as well, when TalkSport was taken over by a company with a direct link with the Sun 'newspaper' he resigned on air and told the listeners why.

Feb 2, 2007
They ought to get Skinner and Baddiel in.

TBH I quite like Fighting Talk occasionally, at least he's a "fan". Riley was ok, Hipgrave included for the quota. Vivien Pengelly to be Murray's sidekick.

Jul 29, 2010
Ham Green":2lu1noim said:
PL2 3DQ":2lu1noim said:

The Mirror

Yeah well we're not happy with the EFL choosing to force the U23 teams on us. I guess life's a bitch.
:lol:

What's it got to do with them anyway, they took C5's money presumably without control of the presenter choices, go spin.

Murray is a bit marmite but I liked him on FT.

I wonder if Lynsey will now go back to being Danny Bakers sidekick on Saturday mornings, no bad thing.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
IJN":3cv1hu65 said:
Like Bob says, he grated on me first but got to really like him.

Man of principal as well, when TalkSport was taken over by a company with a direct link with the Sun 'newspaper' he resigned on air and told the listeners why.

I've never disliked the guy but like Ian I had a newfound respect for the guy after he made this decision. Seems to be a proper football fan who has been in broadcasting a long time.

Never particularly cared for the original Channel 5 presenters so hopefully this will be an improvement!

Jul 29, 2010
...so long as they don't reprise an assembly of fans strewn liberally round the studio, Top Gear stylee, like the first season they had the contract :facepalm: