The financial muscle of ....... | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The financial muscle of .......

Mar 14, 2009
The problem is we aren't blessed with rich board members who can pump millions upon millions into our club to sign players and play their wages.

People say our natural position is the championship but when you look at a side like Bristol City, who just scraped relegation, have just brought Famara Diedhiou for a club record £5.3 million. We are simply not even to being close to these clubs or playing anywhere near their ball park in terms of transfer activity.

So then you come into our league. You have clubs like Bristol Rovers bidding hundred of thousands for a Peterborough player but then next tier down you have clubs like Bury, who you think you should be more competitive than financially, buying some really decent players. When you see this type of activity amongst clubs you start to realise how difficult things will be.

This I feel just shows exactly where we are. We may well sign Carey and some other decent players. I just hope if we do re-sign Carey we don't put all our eggs in one basket. He is a very good player but does have a tendency to disappear in the winter months.

It seems though we wont be buying or competing for established league one players unless there are circumstances such as being injury prone, given the nature of the details from the 8 players that already has been signed. This I thought would be different. I was expecting one, maybe two signings of this nature and I think today has brought home the reality of our transfer budget somewhat.

I'm sure Adams will do what he does best and get the most out of what he signs. Fox is a classic example. Crewe fans were glad to see the back of him. If you read what they said you would of thought what the hell have we brought. Yet in the end we had a cultured, experienced passer of a footballer in midfield who lead this team to promotion. Today we signed Sinclair and Doncaster fans saying very much similar to what Crewe fans said last year. At the same time, bringing Wylde back, a player we have seen for a season makes me feel how limited our resources must be because at L2 level he is so hit and miss. Mainly miss. I remember in one game in the televised away game at Notts County he was whisked off before HT. He was very much at impact player at best. This signing in particular today made me realise how far behind we are in terms of having a really competitive L1 for a promotion challenge.

You can be organised and hard working. Argyle certainly got the best out of what they had last year. When you look at how many players Adams released and the clubs/or lack of that they have gone to then you see what he was working with. This maybe the best budget I would imagine we have had for years. Unfortunately, it is still asking Adams to work miracles to get us beyond 10th in this league.

However there shouldn't be a need to worry about relegation given how Northampton, Oxford, Bristol Rovers and Wimbledon all faired last year. I'm fact most promoted sides seem to do fine. Yet to really compete at this level I think we might have to wait a number of seasons because of the financial muscle we now seem to be up against.

Feb 8, 2005
Some people have very short memories.

PAFC will NOT spend more than they it can afford to spend.

There are financial rules that prevent clubs from going into debt, even if it is to their owners.

If other clubs want to gamble over their financial stability then they will have to be sure that they come out as winners, or they may end up as we did.

The number of EFL Clubs in debt is atrocious, and has come about because of the number of them that try to compete with the Premier League Clubs that have been relegated from the Premier League to the EFL, with their parachute payment subsidies.

The knock on effect has made some Clubs over ambitious with owners failing to realise that the risk of failure is large, but the prize of success seems to make them try even more.

We tried and failed and nearly went into oblivion, and it has taken us six years to reverse the effects of our over ambitions.

Never mind what other Clubs are doing, this Club will not spend money that we have not got.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I think MGM needs to look more confidently at the future. DA is no mug. Operating with a team for a town the same size as Liskeard, he got them into the SPL successfully. I look at little Burton Albion, who held their position in the Championship with small gates and a team of non-stars. I am not saying Argyle will walk Division One next season, but given the ability of the manager together with the best core players of last season, I do not see them as relegation fodder in waiting. Lets cross any shakey bridge, when we come to it, not before embarking on our journey.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
I must admit, I didn't realise the budget some teams in this division have. Blackburn have signed Gillinghams Bradley Dack for a large sum of money. Rotherham are throwing money about. Bury are signing players with a lot of experience, a side who I thought would be in a relegation battle. However I think the likes of Shrewsbury, Northampton, Oldham and Wimbledon will struggle and we'll be alright. I reckon we'll finish 16th-18th. However there is a bigger gap in terms of budgets and ability of player in this league than league 2.

Saying that, Burton managed to get up straight away, but even they chucked some money at it.