Price of Football BBC survey | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Price of Football BBC survey

Jul 29, 2010
Nothing would make me happier than to be proved wrong guys but I've seen nothing but hugely sporadic and quickly dissipated blips of enthusiasm since I joined the Argyle ranks as a teenager in the mid 80's. What has been more readily apparent in the city of my birth in that time has been has been massive cynicism and apathy towards Argyle.

Living near to Brighton I have witnessed throughout that whole time what Argyle could, and SHOULD have in the population surrounding it, genuine good will and desire for it to succeed and thrive. Even in the grimmest of times through the demise of the Goldstone, Gilligham and then The Withdean the number of shirts worn out and about or car stickers/mini-kits etc. you saw dwarfed what I saw of a palpable conscious Argyle support when I got into greater Plymouth. You would, and still do, see virtually nothing 'green' in the city until you get around Home Park.

Is that Argyle's fault, or the presence of a completely different mindset within the respective communities?

Like I say I sincerely hope one day to see something different break out in Plymouth. But but for me, on what I've witnessed over five decades of keeping my eyes and ears open on the doorsteps of two comparable clubs there is actually NO comparision, something is definitely missing in our city.

There is awareness of Argyle, for sure. Wear colours into town and conversations will strike up. But i feel the city needs a fire to be lit underneath it by Argyle to translate that into regular bums on seats at Home Park. I formed the view long ago that only a sugar daddy writing blank cheques will light that fire though. Janners and their innate apathy won't produce a spark, whenever a spark has briefly caught alight the prevailing kindling is so damp it doesn't ignite and fizzles out.

Sorry but that's how I see it.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
X Isle":2a9cc7xg said:
landons forehead":2a9cc7xg said:
There's a chronic absence of signage around the city. Albion manage to get signs up advertising their next game, there's one on the A388 out near Hatt I believe. And Argyle can't?
Argyle have been in the city since 1886, if they don't know about Argyle already it's because they're not interested.

And with virtually universal access to the internet now, if there was any interest in going then fixtures are not difficult to find.

Much like the 'real world' logical economic case for not slashing prices, spend thousands on billboards or radio/TV advertisements and you won't get thousands in to recoup the cost.

Those who want to go and can go, go already. Those who don't won't, or at least not in sufficient numbers to make it a worthwhile venture. I am afraid we are stuck with the status quo in Plymouth, the only way to get extra bums on seats is to virtually guarantee a win and an attractive win to boot.

To do that we're going to need someone to heavily bankroll the squad here. Bradford have a football literate region to draw from and pricing can tap into that innate culture and get it through it's gates, we can't. Plymouth, the wider Plymouth, not us, needs the cart put before the horse before it will be motivated. Argyle need to make them feel like they're missing out on something special if they don't go. We know it's special but they don't see they're missing out on anything.The potential is most definitely there, just look how they crawled out of the woodwork for the Liverpool game, Home Park was suddenly the place to be.

A gazillionaire ain't out there though and certainly at the moment the football isn't going to entice anyone to break their mindset over attending football matches in Plymouth, it's attritional.

The current pricing policy, plus the attempts to bring in additional revenue through the redevelopment is, sadly, the best they can make of things given the general apathy that exists. Cut prices or spend big on advertising and you'll lose money, lose money and the team gets worse, and a cycle of decline creeps back in.

Many don't like to hear it but that is the sober truth of it. We would need a sugar daddy if we are ever going to make it big in the football world. Until then forget it, we are what we are and we are WHERE we are.

Thousands on billboards? I think that might just be an exaggeration. And your post still doesn't answer why Albion, who one could argue are competing in the same market as Argyle, have the wherewithal to get billboards up and Argyle don't.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
The Albion billboard near Hatt is on private land, so I would guess it’s a fan/board member that voluntarily helps the club out with it. I haven’t seen any other bill boards for a while from albion.

Jan 3, 2013
My late father took me to my first match in 1961, I remember him saying "sleeping giant" . 56 years later guess what I'm saying to my grandsons........
Argo will never change. Wouldn't be "same old Argo" if it did would it?

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Knarf Reprah":u5rog66a said:
My late father took me to my first match in 1961, I remember him saying "sleeping giant" . 56 years later guess what I'm saying to my grandsons........

I'm not sure Bournemouth, Swansea and Hull fans would quite agree with that.

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
Football is too expensive and that is a fact. The Bradford model is pioneering and I wish them every success - I'm very jealous if the truth be told. The number one reason I watch Argyle is to experience the atmosphere amongst fellow Argyle fans so Bradford having 20k attendances is brilliant. I suppose we have no choice but to pay what the going rate is to support Argyle. I love my club and would love it if it was cheaper but the club would have to really plan and think about this for it to happen. Short term loss against long term gain? I do feel there is a historical issue with supporting Argyle within Plymouth. Too many people living in Plymouth putting the city and club down which I just don't understand. Everyone knows that Gillette is the best shavers but they still heavily advertise and why is this? The same can be said for Argyle. I never knew of Argyle ever coming to any of my schools when I was at Plymouth. My Mum and Dad never took me to Argyle but my elder brother did thankfully. If he wasn't interested in Argyle then who would have taken me? The club need to keep banging the drum and keep ignoring the naysayers.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Our ticket prices are expensive for League 1 but when you consider the quality of the team and entertainment they seem cheap at twice the price. :crazy:

I'm fortunate that I earn considerably more than the average wage but I am seriously questioning the value for money I receive. As much as I love my football and with nearly 20 years of being a season ticket holder it would be a shame to give up now but can fully understand why the wider Plymouth public do not turn up. The club is really poorly marketed and the current football under DA is utter dross and not at all entertaining for those not so loyal

Oct 31, 2015
I think the prices are ok for 3 hours of entertainment to be honest. Now after saying that the faire served before us is dire and will remain so but that wont affect the pricing strategy.

The Bradford model is a good one but it would make little difference for us. I have been a Green since my first game in the early 80s but Plymothians are so fickle when it cones to the football club and always have been. If we get on a good run or near promotion some additional fans will turn up. When the big club arrives they all mank they cant get tickets and when the football turns sour they all fudge off and then slate the football club. I have seen this so many times in 35 years its unreal.

Bradford pricing strategy may increase the crowds a little but the club would lose money as not enough of the part timers would sign up.

Lets face it when we were in the Championship and going ok before we spent money we didnt have the crowds didnt exactly cram into HP on a fortnightly basis did they?

Ive got to learn that the fickle ones will always be that and the club wont turn it around. This r
end of the country (and I am proud to come from Cornwall) will always be a bit dreckly orientated and you will always hear from the part timers bleddy gyle them rubbish dont know why you bother going.

Leave the ticket policy as it is and improve the entertainment (and I dont mean cheer leaders) on the pitch and maybe some will return.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
X Isle":2wna8awk said:
Nothing would make me happier than to be proved wrong guys but I've seen nothing but hugely sporadic and quickly dissipated blips of enthusiasm since I joined the Argyle ranks as a teenager in the mid 80's. What has been more readily apparent in the city of my birth in that time has been has been massive cynicism and apathy towards Argyle.

Living near to Brighton I have witnessed throughout that whole time what Argyle could, and SHOULD have in the population surrounding it, genuine good will and desire for it to succeed and thrive. Even in the grimmest of times through the demise of the Goldstone, Gilligham and then The Withdean the number of shirts worn out and about or car stickers/mini-kits etc. you saw dwarfed what I saw of a palpable conscious Argyle support when I got into greater Plymouth. You would, and still do, see virtually nothing 'green' in the city until you get around Home Park.

Is that Argyle's fault, or the presence of a completely different mindset within the respective communities?

Like I say I sincerely hope one day to see something different break out in Plymouth. But but for me, on what I've witnessed over five decades of keeping my eyes and ears open on the doorsteps of two comparable clubs there is actually NO comparision, something is definitely missing in our city.

There is awareness of Argyle, for sure. Wear colours into town and conversations will strike up. But i feel the city needs a fire to be lit underneath it by Argyle to translate that into regular bums on seats at Home Park. I formed the view long ago that only a sugar daddy writing blank cheques will light that fire though. Janners and their innate apathy won't produce a spark, whenever a spark has briefly caught alight the prevailing kindling is so damp it doesn't ignite and fizzles out.

Sorry but that's how I see it.

Fair enough X Isle, few would argue that there's some truth in what you say, but I just feel we can't just give up. If Argyle can't bang their own drum, then who on earth will? Apart from us ourselves of course (fans).

Jan 3, 2013
landons forehead":l2yjl7n2 said:
Knarf Reprah":l2yjl7n2 said:

I'm not sure Bournemouth, Swansea and Hull fans would quite agree with that.

What dies that have to do with it?