Grandstand Update | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand Update

Do you like the stage 1 plans for the grandstand?

• Yes

Votes: 206 77.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 25 9.4%

• Total voters
M

Monkey Nuts

Biggs":114njdmg said:
Monkey Nuts":114njdmg said:
Biggs":114njdmg said:
nick_PASTIE":114njdmg said:
Sounds encouraging but I can't see how we will get 20,000 out of that space, without the corners being filled in. With the temporary seats in there for he Liverpool game wasn't it around 17,000, with a small partition so the overall May have around 17,500. That's a lot of extra seats to squeeze in somewhere to get it up to 20,000!

It was nearly 21,000 before with standing and just under 20,000 with seating, so as it's the same structure with I assume a new lower tier... it would therefore be disappointing if it was much less than 20k.

I'm guessing temporary seating takes up more space and is far less efficient at using that space than purpose built permanent seating.

Yeah the old green temporary seating used to have oodles of legroom, so i wouldn't be surprises if they can fit more in the same space.

Yep, come to think of it there were large walkways among the seats weren't there?

Yeah like you say, the space wasn't very efficiently used, so i'm sure a permanent solution will see 20-30 percent more seats.

Edited to add... yes there were 1 or 2 walkways along the length of the pitch as well as the usual up and down ones.

Aug 15, 2008
Are the Club selling the wooden chairs from the top of Mayflower? They could be used as garden furniture etc?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
X Isle":3qigr1nh said:
...which I very much doubt it could.

It would also diminish the Leitchian look.

But is the retention of the Leitchan appearance paramount? Because one could argue that rust would achieve the same diminishing outcome. I just feel that the Leitch connection is no longer 'worth the candle'. I bet if you walked into the grounds of the old Highbury and looked at the residential units that were created out of the old grandstands, nobody would bother saying 'isn't it a shame the classic seated Leitch edifices are no more'. Argyle's ground will not be worth more to James Brent if the architectural integrity is fully retained. Let's just say, thanks a lot for your enduring spectator experience and move on into the 21st century. The sooner it is all done and dusted the better IMHO

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Quintrell_Green":fy563vg4 said:
X Isle":fy563vg4 said:

But is the retention of the Leitchan appearance paramount? Because one could argue that rust would achieve the same diminishing outcome. I just feel that the Leitch connection is no longer 'worth the candle'. I bet if you walked into the grounds of the old Highbury and looked at the residential units that were created out of the old grandstands, nobody would bother saying 'isn't it a shame the classic seated Leitch edifices are no more'. Argyle's ground will not be worth more to James Brent if the architectural integrity is fully retained. Let's just say, thanks a lot for your enduring spectator experience and move on into the 21st century. The sooner it is all done and dusted the better IMHO

Too much is placed on the Leitch name and it shouldn't be forgotten that the Home Park example simply follows Archibald Leitch's designs, rather than being individually designed by the man himself. It was built in 1953, 14 years after the man's death.

It's like a Victorian style house built in the 20th century being held up as a nice example but in reality, isn't an historic original.

It doesn't need to be treated like some listed building.

Aug 9, 2011
Whiddon down
Biggs":t4p8ollr said:
I don't think you can emphasise how MUCH better the stand will look completely renovated with spanking new green seats everywhere. Put it this way, we all wanted a double decker all-seated stand in the last plan, and that's now what we're getting.

I too would have liked the corners filled, but surely that leaves some potential for the future and the line I really like is the apparent confirmation of... 'will raise the capacity at Home Park to 20,000'

I have been assuming there will be a two tier stand and from memory can't see how it wouldn't be but there is also talk about how like Sandy Park stand it will be and that is a single tier at the front of the structure to almost full height with the boxes along the top and the bars and restaurants and corporate facilities behind and changing room, medical rooms, gym etc and supporter toilets tucked underneath.

Jul 29, 2010
Verte":t45dumn6 said:
Are the Club selling the wooden chairs from the top of Mayflower? They could be used as garden furniture etc?
I'd have one or two for the man cave, i'd be disappointed if Argyle didn't try to realise some revenue from them.

Jul 29, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":2baevk7g said:
Quintrell_Green":2baevk7g said:
X Isle":2baevk7g said:

Too much is placed on the Leitch name and it shouldn't be forgotten that the Home Park example simply follows Archibald Leitch's designs, rather than being individually designed by the man himself. It was built in 1953, 14 years after the man's death.

It's like a Victorian style house built in the 20th century being held up as a nice example but in reality, isn't an historic original.

It doesn't need to be treated like some listed building.
I'm not suggesting it should be listed it's simply a question of letting it be what is and not trying to make it something it isn't.

Goodison and Ibrox being sympathetic examples.

The guts of a distinctive stand shouldn't be b*stardised under something perhaps just as distinctive, but completely alien to those guts. Stand and roof should be one entity, not 'classic topped by modern'. In reverse on a house it'd be like putting a thatched roof on a Bauhaus or a council tower block, it'd look stupid.

The stand needs to be Arthur or Martha so if we're not changing the stand we shouldn't change its roof...not that we can possibly afford to do that anyway so this whole discussion is a moot point.

Standing alone it can be it's own thing, the classic and archetypal football stand.

I wanted something done with the corners but needs must and the money ain't there. Making the grandstand its own distinct entity means at a later date we can extend the horseshoe to meet it and it'll still make sense...

...ideally finishing the incomplete present structure by extending it to become symmetrical to the pitch :wink:

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I would have thought there would have to cover for the seats on the new terrace.

Jul 29, 2010
monkeywrench":2nlonroi said:
I would have thought there would have to cover for the seats on the new terrace.
There can't be, that would cost more than the £5m we have without doing a single other thing.

The seats there will cost less as a consequence. There may also be some sort of 'plastic poncho' arrangement for wet days.

I also can't help but feel such an expectation sends tens of thousands of former members of the green army spinning in their graves muttering "you bunch of soft middle class Jessies" :roll:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
X Isle":3l805fgj said:
monkeywrench":3l805fgj said:
There can't be, that would cost more than the £5m we have without doing a single other thing.

The seats there will cost less as a consequence. There may also be some sort of 'plastic poncho' arrangement for wet days.

I also can't help but feel such an expectation sends tens of thousands of former members of the green army spinning in their graves muttering "you bunch of soft middle class Jessies" :roll:

More of the seats may be more covered if the lower tier is made steeper, as has been confirmed. That would mean the seats would be further from the pitch, of course.

I'm no engineer, but if the concrete can be knocked out and a new terrace put in without compromising the overall structure, then that's 'relatively' doable isn't it?

Jul 29, 2010
True, when the terrace was there, and the unreserved seating, the back was, logically, the driest...especially with prevailing southerly winds.

It'll help, but it won't keep every seat dry. To do that you'd need a new, probably cantilevered roof and that won't happen for budgetary reasons. That it retains the Leitchian aesthetic is simply a bonus for me.