Now to win the league (merged) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Now to win the league (merged)

Oct 14, 2015
Whilst promotion is the ultimate aim for the season after today's victory theres a possibility that we could actually win the league. Be interesting to see how Doncaster recover after today's defeat as their run in appears, on paper, quite difficult. Their fixtures include Blackpool, Mansfield, Exeter, Colchester and Wycombe, all teams hunting a play off place at the minimum. Their superior goal difference could the key but surely after today's victory our confidence must be very high...interesting few weeks but of course promotion is the ultimate aim...

Aug 24, 2011
Don't keep saying promotion is the ultimate aim, aim for the title and you will be getting the points for both promotion and winning the league, you don't play any different by concentrating on promotion only, the statement makes no sense.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
There's no harm in going after the title at this stage and after today's display it's certainly not out of the question.

If we can put a nice little run together to close out the season then the pressure is on for Donny to match us. Today we proved that we can beat anybody in this league, if you can stop top of the table on their own well defended turf then everybody else is there for the taking.

The hope now of course is that today rattles Doncaster, unable to put one past us despite having huge amounts of the ball; they will start to question themselves. If they have the mentality of champions they will bounce back from this no problem, question is do they have the mentality of Champions? On today's evidence only one team performed like champions and that was us.

Apr 15, 2015
If we win the title I'm pretty sure we'd be promoted too - aim high (but not while shooting at goal!)

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
The team's aim now must surely be the title. Can you imagine Adams getting the players together at Harper's Park this morning and saying 'right lads, I want you all working as hard as you can to win three of the next seven games'?

Jan 6, 2004
Winning the league is winning the competition we are playing in all season, being the best of the twenty four of course it is important - what is the ultimate aim of professional football if it is not winning trophies?

I think Doncaster will stutter badly after yesterday and if Adams can figure out a way of eliminating the lacklustre performances against the lower placed teams at home we will win it.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
plymouthboyuk":1y5jdyyq said:
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/big-match-verdict-doncaster-rovers-look-to-have-battle-on-hands-to-lift-crown-1-8460021
A really good summing up of the game. Donny have a tough looking run in compared to our's and could well blow it now. Their form has tailed off a bit recently after a blistering run and hopefully we can finish strongly now the title is in sight and nick it from them.

Jul 29, 2010
Green_Flash":2vi1eodl said:
Winning the league is winning the competition we are playing in all season, being the best of the twenty four of course it is important - what is the ultimate aim of professional football if it is not winning trophies?

I think Doncaster will stutter badly after yesterday and if Adams can figure out a way of eliminating the lacklustre performances against the lower placed teams at home we will win it.
And therein lies the rub.

DA sets us up perfectly to absorb pressure and hit teams on the break or at set pieces. I wasn't at all nervous about Donny because, just as they did at HP, they attacked us. It is why we've got such a good away record, home teams tend to do that.

Accrington, Newport and Crewe however won't come at us so readily, but we will nevertheless set up in exactly the same way. It is precisely why there is such a disparity in our home and away performances.

We CAN do this now, we've got ourselves into a great position. I worry though that (counting no chickens) whilst we might have done enough to get up, it'll be points yet to be dropped at home that cause us to miss out on the trophy.

I'll revise that assessment if we, finally, put a lower placed team properly to the sword and comfortably beat Accrington Stanley.

Jan 6, 2004
Totally agree with that X Isle - teams that attack us and try to play football we can deal with (even Liverpool to a certain extent) - it is the teams that sit back and try to do a number on us, as we did to Doncaster, that we struggle against. Adams has obviously done well this season and his tactics for dealing with attacking footballing teams are spot on even if not always pretty. I think however that he is a defensively minded manager and may be lacks the killer instinct to put lesser teams to the sword.

To be honest I am surprised there are still managers in league 2 who have not cottoned on to this. If every team shut up shop we would really struggle.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
I don't think that, after two years of missing out in the play-offs, it is unreasonable that there has been on a focus on the gap to 4th rather than the smaller gap up to the top.

However, his weekend's results have changed both those gaps for the better and games are running out and it is surely now just a case of when we clinch promotion.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to see a more relaxed Argyle in the final few games as a result and I think there has been a tension in some of those home defeats that need no longer be there.