Johnny Hore - Legend. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Johnny Hore - Legend.

Sep 30, 2004
He's here he's there he's every [The swear check is there for a reason. Children read this site]where Johny Hore Johny Hore. I remember chanting that a fair few times in the sixties.My nephew played for him at Barnstaple I think and Johny was invited to his wedding.I took the opportunity to have a chat with him and mentioned the chant,it brought a smile to his face.

An all action player and a great favourite of mine,went on and played for Exeter(boo)
Born at Foxhole, a real one horse town in hillbilly China clay territory.

Happy 69th birthday.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Green83":3ci72ktj said:
philevs":3ci72ktj said:
GreenArmy1984":3ci72ktj said:
I remember John Hore As Argyle Manager from the FA Cup 1984 Semi Final cup run

1984 was the year and cup run that got me hooked to Argyle

Aha, hence your name

Snap! I went for the start of the season! My first season supporting Argyle. Nearly every home game that season. I started off thinking every season was going to be like that!
Another Snap!
Following my first game (the Pompey rampage in May 83) my second game was the Milk Cup home tie v Arsenal. I loved the evening game so much, I managed to persuade mum and dad that going to Argyle was the best thing to spend my pocket money on. In fact it was the catalyst to getting me out there earning money and not just relying on the bank of mum and dad. Labouring on the local farm and general garden work kept the pennies coming in for my trips to Plymouth on the train every other week.
With the cup run, how could a 14/15 year old fail to be hooked.
I've mentioned this to Johnny on the couple of times I've been fortunate enough to meet him.
:nworthy:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
A true man of grit from a clay village surrounded by piles of it. After Johnny was made the production mould was broken. We could do with one like him in the centre of midfield now. He would give Paul Hayes something to really moan about!

Jul 1, 2006
'They don't make em' like that anymore'!! Proper no-nonsense mid-fielder. Took a coaching session, when I played for my school side (something I'll always remember).
'Little Johnny Hore', a true Argyle legend.
Happy Birthday.

Ken Beale

♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
Sep 10, 2012
A true legend indeed and also a great speaker he did us proud at Senior Greens.

Jan 3, 2013
I remember Leeds ' left winger who was in the 66 squad changed wings to get away from him after he was dumped in the Lyndy approx 1965

Jan 28, 2005
"I had heard about Cornish granite before I came here but I never expected to see it on two legs" (Tony Waiters).

I don't think that anyone has mentioned that, in the 1974-75 promotion team, with new signings Randell and Delve, and wingers McAuley and Johnson, competition in midfield was tough. However, Johnny Hore covered the right back position in place of Peter Darke, who I think was injured for a game or two, and kept the place for the rest of the season.

Nov 23, 2015
Ah yes - John Hore played his first game for Argyle in the mid-sixties, shortly after signing professional terms after a 2 year apprenticeship.

I used to remember when I was a young boy ( besides seeing him play ) he used to scoot through my village in a sports car, hood down. ( He was born just a few miles from where I live, in the heart of China Clay Country. I believe he had a girlfriend at St Columb Road.)

The interesting thing about him was that he was a survivor, perhaps not the best gifted player technically, he always gave 100%, and did his job competently if not spectacularly - Had a terrific shot, did not score many goals but when they did go in they were always pile drivers - I remember one occasion at home to Watford he received the ball way outside the area and shot and it simply flew in - the goalie looked that surprised, he never hardly had time to see it (Andy Rankin - understudy 'keeper to Gordon West at Everton for several years).

A loyal servant to Argyle, he had his testimonial against Liverpool in 1975, and was held in such high regard that they brought their strongest squad down, attracting a big crowd.

He made his Argyle debut on the 20th April 1965 in a 3-1 away defeat to to Northampton. He survived to see many Managers come and go, and was finally sold to Exeter under the realm of Tony Waiter's in late 1975 - Hore, under Waiter's, was ruthlessly omitted from the side shortly after a 3-2 home defeat against Bolton on Oct.11th 1975 - He had been given the run around by a very speedy, skilful, promising young winger - His name ? Peter Reid !! Just 2 more games for Argyle was all he played, with a home game against Blackburn being his final appearance.

Waiter's, never one to shirk from making a difficult decision, decided that the extra pace and guile of many 2nd Division players were to good for Johnny, so he sold him to Exeter, and at the age of 28 his Argyle career was over after more than 12 years with the club, although, as we know, he was to return as Manager in 1983 and led the club on that famous cup run to the Semi-Final.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
HG

Some great memories there of Johnny Hore.

Not checked the detail but my memory is that Johnny played right back under Waiters in the old 2nd Division and just could not live with Willie Johnston at the Hawthorns. Yes, the Willie Johnston later sent home by Scotland from a World Cup for taking performance enhancing drugs.

I didnt think Johnny started for us again after that afternoon but records show he had one more game. Johnston was lightening fast that day and Johnny just couldn't keep up as the Scottish winger flew past him.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Knarf Reprah":2zcdfr2x said:
I remember Leeds ' left winger who was in the 66 squad changed wings to get away from him after he was dumped in the Lyndy approx 1965
Legend and hardman - two words bandied around too often but true in John Hore's case. And he wasn't hard and dirty like Norman Hunter and Ron Harris, just plain competitive. As for your winger Frank I have tried to help but I am struggling identify your man. There were two Leeds players in the 66 squad - number 5 Jack Charlton and number 18 Norman Hunter. The only out and out wingers in the 66 squad were 11 John Connelly (Man U), 19 Terry Paine (Saints) and 20 Ian Callaghan (Liverpool). 7 Alan Ball (Blackpool) played out there but was classed as a midfielder. I wondered if you may have been talking about Mike O'Grady who as far as I can tell played against Johnny Hore twice. Once was at Leeds Road for Huddersfield on 02 October 1965. The next time was at Home Park when O'Grady turned out for Rotherham United on 17 February 1973, in a Millers' side managed by a former Argyle man who would have been playing when you first went to HP - Jim McAnearney. In September 1965 he played against Middlesbrough who had Edwin Holliday on their left wing. He had a few England caps in the late 50s but never went to a World Cup. In November 1966 Johnny played against a Bolton side that had Francis Lee on the wing. Could be him? O'Grady played twice for England - once against Northern Ireland on 20 October 1962 and then again six years later against France but no World Cups.