Argyle trivia | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle trivia

Jan 3, 2013
memory man":3223iwud said:
semper crudus":3223iwud said:
memory man":3223iwud said:
GreensOnScreen":3223iwud said:
Emu":3223iwud said:
Vic Buckingham wanted to become the manager but was prevented apparently
Cue Memory Man!
Vic Buckingham was not "prevented" from becoming manager. He had a reputation as a "gentleman" but did not treat Argyle chairman Ron Blindell in a gentlemanly way. He had accepted the job and had prepared the retained list. He was in charge in the dressing room for several games at the end of the 1960-61 season although he was technically still at Ajax. He wished to work without contract, in an era when a handshake was as good as a legal agreement. And then Sheffield Wednesday came calling and he chose to go there instead (and was their manager when Peter Swan, Tony Kay and Bronco Layne got locked up). I would rather not go too much further as I will be telling the full story in a forthcoming book about that era, one final attempt to clear up the long-standing mystery over Vic Buckingham's time at Home Park. He did manage at Barcelona.

Thanks memory man. Looking forward to the book. I assume you'll advertise it on here?
I will. Now three years overdue I have given up making any promises about dates!!!! It will be called "Memories Of A Better Time".
how about recherché du temps Perdu?