Captain's gesture (Smalley) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Captain's gesture (Smalley)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
GreenSam":25u2x9kj said:
Can I just interject?

I think there is no reasonable ground to assume that the players showed their support for Smalley due to some distasteful comments that were made on here and on other mediums. Far more likely surely that they just made a gesture in support of a friend and colleague who suffered a nasty injury. It was undoubtedly a nice gesture but it was one that could very easily have been motivated purely by compassion for Smalley. Such gestures are fairly commonplace in football and may well have taken place without the comments. Of course they didn't do it 'for world peace' but they may have just done it for the injury in general.

As for the comments specifically, it goes without saying that I don't support or condone such comments and in all fairness two of the people who made them have now admitted it was wrong. I agree with the point being made that real people play for Argyle and not just footballers who disappear when the game is over. I'll be honest, I did read some of the comments and bash my head against a wall. It's good that two of the people who made them have been gentlemanly enough to admit they were wrong. However:

I struggle to see the need for John Harbin to make such a public reference to it in his program notes. When there is such a feelgood feeling around the club and by and large the team and fans are happier with eachother than they have been in years, why mention this one example of tastelessness? Why, when the team dug in so well and there was such a memorable, magic moment with Curtis Nelson geeing up the fans after his injury to support the lads at 3-2 up in Northampton, could he not have resisted the urge to alert the public to what was essentially a minority of silly comments. People type crude stuff without thinking on the internet. I've done it, most people reading this will have done it. If you haven't, then fair play to you you're in a minority. I take on board that the seemingly faceless nature of the internet means that many people do not exercise the same discretion as they normally would in other conversations. However, surely that is even more of a reason not to shame people for falling into the very trap that so many have fallen into.

I don't mean to turn this into a massive dig at John Harbin because from all I have heard about him and from the impression I picked up at the meet the fans meeting a few weeks ago, he is an absolute asset to PAFC. He seems like a great and inspirational guy who genuinely cares about our players as human beings. He seems like a fantastic and straightforward person who has done wonders in his time here and whose wisdom has helped PAFC's players on both a footballing and personal level. Therefore I can absolutely understand why reading some comments would rile him (and perhaps rile the players themselves). I don't for a moment expect them to read what was said and laugh along with it. I get that they're gonna read it and be pi$$ed off.

However, I really struggle to see any merits in giving them the oxygen of publicity. All in all, these are pretty good times for PAFC from CEO level downwards. Why, when there's so much good stuff going on to write about, focus on a few people doing something we've all done which is 'press the send button without thinking' on an online forum. I can emphasise with why JH reacted the way he did but I feel he should have not given such daft comments airtime in the matchday program. I don't necessarily disagree with what he said but I disagree with publishing his thoughts on the matter. Ever heard of the saying 'don't feed the trolls'? All it served to do is dampen the feel good factor at the club and alert more people to the negative comments who would otherwise never have heard of them.

Let sleeping dogs lie eh Sam?

Good on John Harbin, glad he voiced this and the more stick trolls get, the happier normal people will be.

Saying that, Steve has apologised and that does it for me.

However, can't help but think whilst Steve Evans was mentioned to me, JH was aiming at the Pip Squeak Squad on Twitter.

Some of the things these guys say is truly cringeworthy and no wonder why people have got the hump.

C

Connor Clarke

Yeah, it must have been aimed at my supposed geek squad- even though my Twitter account is protected and he wouldn't be able to read it :lol: Oh and not forgetting I haven't said anything at all 'incriminating' :facepalm:

Next.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Mannamead Green has also admitted that he was wrong in one of his comments, Ian.

You could call it 'let sleeping dogs' lie but it was barely a puppy in the first place. If someone had directly tweeted back to the people who made those comments then I accept that that would be a completely different issue but to write about it in the program? To air that dirty laundry for people who would otherwise never have heard of it?

I entirely accept that JH's motives were honourable and came from the right place of the heart but I also think that it has whipped the situation up into far more of a hullabaloo than it ever needed to be. I've said stupid things on here and on Twitter, so have 99% of people who use the internet. I've said stuff that I wouldn't say to people's face, and stuff that I later deeply regretted. Again, 99%.

Can we not accept that those comments were wrong and misguided without going down the 'STOP THESE VILE TROLLS' route of shaming them publicly? For fundamentally decent people who've made a mistake, often a quiet word in their ear is enough to make them realise how their comment could be interpreted rather than shaming their indiscretion for all to see. I don't at all condone the comments made about Smalley but I don't condone a witchunt either. That surmises my viewpoint in the most concise way possible.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
IJN":zw7wx37j said:
spowell92":zw7wx37j said:
There are definitely some nasty pieces of work in this thread and they aren't MG or Paven.

Ian, I don't see what right you have to take John Harbin's words and go about applying them to people willy nilly as if it's freaking gospel. You have your opinion that some jokes are crass, fine. Say that. Personally I feel you're making a mountain out of a molehill and I don't think you should be twisting what John Harbin says for your own agenda.

You talk of anonymity behind the keyboard, then reveal the name of the player that apparently wants to "do" Steve Evans then... Jesus flipping Christ. How pathetic has this circus of a club become? On the field things are looking brilliant, it's a friken pleasure watching those players represent us. But off the field it's just embarrassing from top to Internet.

Where have I said any player wanted to 'do' Steve?

Also, I repeat if you haven't the balls to repeat to someone what you have said on the net, then you shouldn't say it in the first place. I stick by that, as it's surely just common sense and decency isn't it.

I'd certainly say that to Brand, any bloke who takes part in upsetting an old man and think it's a joke is a 'vile sod' and should be called on it. Obviously I can't do that, but if I ever did bump into him, of course I'd tell him to his face.

As for twisting what John Harbin as said, I printed what he said, where have I twisted it. I agree with every word he has said, I can't improve on it, why would I need to?

As for my agenda, yes I have one, support your team not take the pi$$ out our own players. Simple really. What other agenda could there be?

Alright, not "do", but the "if you're man enough I'll put you in touch with the player", felt the insinuation was pretty aggressive. Particularly "if you're man enough"... Jeez. Funny how that player can hide behind anonymity... :roll:

Ian, as for twisting Harbin's words. It seems to me that you've assumed authority of what he wrote and are stating that he's referring to X, Y, Z as if it's fact. Harbin, may or may not have been trawling through MG's tweets, but you've suggest that it's fact when it's likely not. At least I see no evidence to suggest he is, JH was talking in broad terms. (Who fwiw, I've always rated and think is a terrific asset to the club, hi John :wave: ). I don't know what your agenda is Ian, but I think you're getting a bit aggressive in trying to shame other passionate fans for the sake of it.

P.s. Is an internet apology acceptable for Steve? Maybe in the warm up against Oxford we should perhaps set up some good old fashion stocks for him to be locked into while the players kick rotten tomatoes in his face.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Connor, if you believe 'protected' means that then you have a bit to learn.

Crikey, I did that to mine and they still copy and paste on a daly basis. :greensmile:

Just have a think of what has been said and try to understand JH would say what he has said.

Why would he say them if no offence has been taken? It wouldn't make sense would it.

I would add by the way I have never met JH nor have I ever spoken to him apart from the occasional 'hello' in the car park.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
GreenSam":2a1fywf0 said:
Mannamead Green has also admitted that he was wrong in one of his comments, Ian.

You could call it 'let sleeping dogs' lie but it was barely a puppy in the first place. If someone had directly tweeted back to the people who made those comments then I accept that that would be a completely different issue but to write about it in the program? To air that dirty laundry for people who would otherwise never have heard of it?

I entirely accept that JH's motives were honourable and came from the right place of the heart but I also think that it has whipped the situation up into far more of a hullabaloo than it ever needed to be. I've said stupid things on here and on Twitter, so have 99% of people who use the internet. I've said stuff that I wouldn't say to people's face, and stuff that I later deeply regretted. Again, 99%.

Can we not accept that those comments were wrong and misguided without going down the 'STOP THESE VILE TROLLS' route of shaming them publicly? For fundamentally decent people who've made a mistake, often a quiet word in their ear is enough to make them realise how their comment could be interpreted rather than shaming their indiscretion for all to see. I don't at all condone the comments made about Smalley but I don't condone a witchunt either. That surmises my viewpoint in the most concise way possible.

I think people underestimate the effect trolls can have, when it's a non stop barrage Sam. It's not nice and certainly isn't clever, and often it's people who are against all sorts of 'isms' that take part in what is nothing short of bullying.

I repeat ad nauseam, good on John Harbin, well done for bringing this up.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Blown out of all proportion, taken completely out of it's intended context and nothing to do with John Harbin's article I reckon. I'd say it was simply a gesture of sympathy and support for Deane in much the same way as the framed/signed shirt was that they gave to Alex Bray following his unfortunate injury earlier in the season.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
spowell92":26oili9i said:
Alright, not "do", but the "if you're man enough I'll put you in touch with the player", felt the insinuation was pretty aggressive. Particularly "if you're man enough"... Jeez. Funny how that player can hide behind anonymity... :roll:

My first offer was to attempt to get two people face to face. As soon as that happen, punches don't flow, eyes dilate, even twinkle, a smile then a mutual feeling of 'I get it' ensues. Why do people always suspect the worst when someone says 'Meet me face to face' or similar.

I've even met some of my detractors a few years ago, it was all very pleasant, but they still went back and banged away (possibly very good wording) at their keyboards and slagged me off for being fat and ugly. :greensmile:

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
kernow19":26t3ays8 said:
Blown out of all proportion, taken completely out of it's intended context and nothing to do with John Harbin's article I reckon. I'd say it was simply a gesture of sympathy and support for Deane in much the same way as the framed/signed shirt was that they gave to Alex Bray following his unfortunate injury earlier in the season.

Pretty much my thoughts too, can't believe this has turned into such a nasty argument. I only thought of positive things with the Smalley gesture- to me it showed a united dressing room who are sticking by each other and were wishing their friend the very best. I'm sure the same gesture would've been made had it been any other player who suffered the ACL injury, nothing to do with any fightback towards the fans.

C

Connor Clarke

IJN":lbcz39fs said:
Connor, if you believe 'protected' means that then you have a bit to learn.

Crikey, I did that to mine and they still copy and paste on a daly basis. :greensmile:

Just have a think of what has been said and try to understand JH would say what he has said.

Why would he say them if no offence has been taken? It wouldn't make sense would it.

I would add by the way I have never met JH nor have I ever spoken to him apart from the occasional 'hello' in the car park.

If someone who follows me really went to the length of personally showing John Harbin my tweets, then very strange but fine- I just for some reason think Mr Harbin wouldn't be interested in my tweets, they don't really fit into what he said in his programme column.. Unless he takes great offence at looking at pictures of Felipe from The Apprentice! :greensmile: :lol:

But I think the fact we're even talking about anyone's Twitter for that matter shows the matter has been blown out of proportion- the thread was about the players gesture towards their team-mate and it was a very nice one, end of.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The picture certainly was, but JH's comments certainly wasn't, as I suspect you well know Connor.

Still, all water under the bridge now, I hope some people are wiser than they were before.

Onwards to Wales eh Connor? :scarf:

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
A good apology has been proffered and no doubt will be accepted in the spirit in which it was given. It is well worth remembering that players etc. may well read PASOTI to gauge the feelings of the fanbase, I would imagine that praise would do the old ego the world of good while some of the less flattering efforts could well dent confidence, remember the players are no different to you and I and some will have stronger characters than others. Constructive criticism can be a good thing but to harangue an individual without thought can be cruel.

C

Cobi Budge.

Are we actually considering the possibility this might have been the players making a stand against the fans triggered by one comment from a controversial pasoti poster? Jesus Christ.

I saw it simply as the players showing solidarity and making a heartfelt gesture to their team mate who is probably feeling a bit low.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":3j7qkf1p said:
Are we actually considering the possibility this might have been the players making a stand against the fans triggered by one comment from a controversial pasoti poster? Jesus Christ.

I saw it simply as the players showing solidarity and making a heartfelt gesture to their team mate who is probably feeling a bit low.

Bloody hell cobi, dont try and bring common sense into this thread!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
FFS Cobi.

The Smalley picture is obviously backing their player with his operation due on Monday.

The JH piece is quite obviously referring to the internet warriors.