Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis!!!

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
This was always going to be a tough game, despite what people say about Phil Brown he's put together a really good side and even with the man advantage we would have to put in a sterling performance. Thankfully we got that in the second half. Everyone can go on about how bad the first half was (it wasn't awful) but despite our attacking deficiencies we kept it tight at the back and Sheridan, to his credit, did what needed to be done at half time and we did the job in the second half. I think we will have a good season if JS continues to know when to adjust the team accordingly, both pre-game and during the game. This is league 2- there really isn't much between each team, I don't expect us to dominate many games at all. But, like today, if we can keep it solid at the back whilst being able to attack with pace, we will do well. Alessandra proved to be the match winner with the most important contribution, but Morgan, Mellor (2nd half) and Banton deserve honorable mentions too. Banton looked creative whilst on the ball and carved out a good few chances for us, whilst his delivery needs work I was impressed with his directness today.

McCormick- 6
Mellor- 7
Nelson- 7
Hartley- 7
McHugh- 6
Alessandra- 8
Cox- 6
O'Connor- 7
Banton- 7
Reid- 7
Morgan- 7

A comfortable win in the end against 10 men although we really struggled to put
2 passes together at times in the first half. Seemed strange to revert to a 442
for a home game as i would have thought it would be better suited for away games.
We started ok but when they went down to 10 we never passed the ball well enough
and to be honest they did to us what we should have been doing to them regarding
possession of the football.
Credit the manager he switched to 4231 and everthing just seemed to click with
an excellent team goal early in the 2nd half. Wonderful skill from mellor and a low
shot from allesandra. Which then gave our players some much needed confidence especially
when they were on the ball.
Our back four started to control possession more and not so in a rush to get rid.
They tired as well as we moved them around a lot more.
That meant our excellent forwards were able to get at them in good attacking
positions culminating in another fine team goal. A powerful downward header from reid
on the end of an allesandra cross. I thought we defended well all game and comfortably
saw out the game.
Positives.
1.Wottsie 1(clean sheet) cocko 0. Our old legendary CB partnership up against each
other as defensive coaches. Our defending was good all game .Nelson my MOM.
2.Some of the football we played in the second half was a really joy to watch.
3.Both our 2 key goalscorers on the scoresheet.
4.A home win against what looked a good team. Our home record must improve from
previous seasons if we are to mount a successful promotion challenge.
Negatives
1.That first half.
2.Another different tactic(442). The players never looked comfortable within it.
Lots of room for improvement but there are signs of a good team in there somewhere.
Inconsistent is the word that keeps on recurring at the moment, but it is understandable,
as it is still a new team with new players and needs a certain amount of time for it
all to come together.

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
Pottypilgrim":2kvtp5c9 said:
tagz":2kvtp5c9 said:
greendream":2kvtp5c9 said:
keeno79":2kvtp5c9 said:
I know it has been done to death and we won today, but half time today would have been perfect to put thomas on to get at the ten men. I just cannot understand his lack of game time. we read tonight that sheridan is potentially in for a winger! frustrates me at the moment.
Yea I agree,he is just the sort of wide player we need,but who would you have taken off at half time?
I think it would have been Banton

Ab-so-bleddy-lutely! The man is dire. I notice no-one has started a 'Banton thread' but I bet there are loads wanting to. Thomas must be wondering what the hell he is doing wrong to have this muppet starting in front of him. The only thing I can say good about him is that he is working a lot harder in defending and chasing back - thing is it's normally as a result of him losing possession! Also, he is an 'offensive' player as opposed to 'defensive' - he should be doing all his good work going the other way.
With Banton coming in central so often it took a 4-4-2 formation into a 4-2-3-1 as Morgan moved out to the left wing but Banton was playing behind Reid. Morgan is meant to be the player who the crosses are aimed at not the player who is beating the full back (quite a few times) running to the byline and crossing it in (something Banton rarely does but is capable of doing).

S

Semperfidelis

I think a 3 for Mellor first half was harsh. First 20 mins it was Morgan MOTD but during the next hour Mellor for sure. Looked so much more confident on the ball since the last few games so positive for the future games!

Only in the last half hour did lewi and Reid properly come into the game though Reid was solid all game for sure, just made more space for marvin. Don't think Lewi deserved MOTM, would've said Mellor myself.

Finally, Nelson solid as ever. Too good for this league

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There's a great photo on Twitter of the players out enjoying a meal tonight, Lecointe is also there. It's good to see team bonding and a sign of unity.

Mar 23, 2008
GreenSam":smgl54kb said:
If ever you want to see a game of two halves, it was that game. A game in which we were pathetic in one half and superb in the other. A first half in which we looked timid off the ball with our lack of pressing (Cox aside) and unadventurous on the ball, never choosing an option that was likely to lead to a serious chance. We completely failed to make our extra man count and after a lively first 15 minutes, we seemed to get completely complacent about our chances of winning and ended up having to do more defending (primarily from set pieces) than we did attacking. Very unsatisfactory and it seems that Sheridan had a really angry word or two with them at half-time.

By the way, it seems that (in the Cambridge match aside), Sheridan's achilles heel has completely reversed itself this season. He used to be the manager who would set up a team well but would never make the right subs and would very rarely change a team efficiently in game. This season he's the manager who rarely sets up well from the start but has been quick at identifying solutions and has changed the match to our advantage in most games. I'm obviously pleased that Shez has discovered a Plan B- but did anyone ever tell him to keep doing the same things as he previously did with Plan A?! Talk about a role reversal.

The second half was markedly better. It was as if we'd had a rocket up our backsides, realised we had a man advantage and were determined to make it count. It was against ten men but we performed so well in the second half that we really could have scored more than two goals. We also looked far more solid at the back, our defenders played a much higher line and in fact the vast, vast majority of the half was played nowhere near Southend's final third. They were defeatist, ill-disciplined and a generally poor team- but we had to do the best we could against them and in the second half we did so with aplomb.

Not only was our general play and the shape of the team better in the second half but also several individual players came out looking as though they'd been on rocket fuel. Kelvin Mellor in particular is someone who I think is going to be a really good player for us. Shakey first half where he fulfilled the cliche of a full-back who was set to get a nosebleed if he ever exited his own half of the pitch. Second half however he really came into his own and showed how good of a player he can be when he's in the mood. Overlapped fantastically and he and Alessandra had a really fine bit of interchange for our first goal. Mellor didn't make the best start to his career here but he's a Crewe lad and he's been at Crewe for six years. There's bound to be an adjustment period. He's getting there.

I like Carl McHugh- played hopelessly out of position for games but never let his head drop and never stopped putting 100% into it even when he could very easily have been demoralised into losing all confidence. It's good when players visibly show that they care on the pitch- not that the quiet ones don't care, but it's human nature that fans favourites are the ones who show their emotion. And credit where it's due to his performance- he barely put a foot wrong in the second half and was far from our worst performer in the first half. When he gets forward, he knows how to cross too. Getting there, I hope. Not his natural position by any stretch- let's just hope today wasn't a flash in the pan for his performances there. Next step is to do the same against eleven men. Nonetheless, well played. A shout out to their keeper for the excellent save that he made from him too. Nine times out of ten, that goes in.

McCormick did all that was called upon. Some very good, fast distribution which allowed us to make fast counter attacks too which usually we have only seen Cole do to that extent. Nelson and Hartley grew into the game as it went on and didn't do much wrong at all. It seems odd to say this about a central defender, but Peter Hartley really is a confidence player. When his game is off, he can be so hesitant and nervy about going for headers and challenges but when he's on it he can be utterly imperious. He's also probably the best centre-back from a technical point of view that we've had since coming into League Two. He'll never hoof the ball when it's possible to play it out of defence- which is a value worth having, even in this league. Yet to be fully won over by him but he's another one who's 'getting there'.

Anthony O'Connor is (Reid aside, obviously) the clear signing of the summer. He just has everything that you want a defensive player to have, be they be playing in defence or in a midfield holding role. A competent yet unspectacular first half but the second half he was EVERYWHERE. The unsung value of Hourihane was the way he would always buzz around the midfield/between the lines- he'd pick up loose balls due to his immense athleticism and then squeeze possession in our favour. It's what I thought we'd miss most about Hourihane but O'Connor has really taken on the mantle fantastically. The best signing we could make before deadline day would be to rip up his contract that takes him until January and offer him a new one until May- so long as Blackburn are willing. He can anticipate where a pass is going to go, get there in time to stop it and his passing is improving by the game. Lee Cox though just pipped him to man of the match. We knew Coxy was a good defensive midfielder but today proved that he can be good going forward too. A superb engine on him and passed the ball all game to a high standard.

Alessandra seriously needed that goal for his confidence. He hasn't scored in about 15 games in all competitions. He was another one who was much brighter after the interval: direct, skilful and gave their left-back kittens. Let's hope that's the catalyst for a return to the Alessandra of early 2014. He, like our team, is consistently inconsistent. If anything he's the one player who most encapsulates our team. When good, very very good and when bad, pretty awful. Banton- well, no-one can say that he isn't a trier anymore. This season, no-one can say that he isn't selfless. He's passed when he should have shot more times than I care to remember. I'm more optimistic about him than I was in April but he desperately, desperately needs a goal for the sake of his confidence. Reuben looked full of fire in the second half after a poor first half. When he's on it, he is physically impossible for most defenders to play against. A mixture of complete strength and outstanding technical ability is a lethal combination. You can't knock him off the ball and you can't take the ball away from his feet. Make the most of him until January, I fear.

A special shout out to Marvin Morgan. A player who I didn't previously rate in the slightest. I still don't think he's amazing but you can't ask for more effort from him at all. He always got in the right place to make defenders panic into fouling him. Was he good with the ball at his feet? Not especially no but when you show the determination that he did to make the right runs with the right amount of strength behind it he will still be an asset. It was no coincidence that his harrying got their player sent off. He's been like a new signing this summer- keep it up Marvin.

Harvey never got into the game. Wasn't on for long and Southend were always a team he'd struggle against. A couple of decent touches but on the whole did very little. Norburn, for me was the same old story. Some fine passes with the ball at his feet but he's nowhere near proactive enough off the ball. He gets physically dominated as much as Luke Young did but it doesn't seem to be noticed as much. Still not really impressed and for me he's definitely a bench option more than he is a starter. Thomas wasn't on for long and didn't do much but kudos to him for having the chutzpah to take that shot...and very nearly score from what seemed an impossible angle.

Overall, still a bit annoying that we can't do it over 90 minutes. But a win's a win and that second half looked never really in doubt. Luke had only one save to make and it was a fairly tame one. Luton will be, you'd think, a tougher test. But then again- they've made a very poor start to the season. If we play like we did after half-time then we should give them a very good game against eleven men, never mind ten.

Good stuff. Unspectacular. But a much needed win and SOME spells of football which were very, very good indeed.

McCormick-7
Mellor-7
Nelson-7
Hartley-7
McHugh-7
Alessandra-7
O'Connor-7
Cox-8
Banton-5
Reid-7
Morgan-7

Harvey-4
Thomas-6
Norburn-6
Agree with much of what you say as usual Sam but I think you're way off the mark with Norburn. Strikes me as soneone who really wants to and can dominate the midfield and is a good size for a midfielder, haven't seen him out muscled at all far from it.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Fat_green_belly":3ledhpkv said:
as it is still a new team with new players and needs a certain amount of time for it
all to come together.

In no way having a go at FGB in particular but this new team thing is often quoted. Most teams at this time of year are in the same boat why should ours be more so?

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Great day at Home park yesterday !!!!

Starting off with another brilliant Fanfest with Rick & Dave ( lovely pasty & beer )

Great to meet woody from Bastille & nice photo taken

Back in the Lyndhurst yesterday after last few years in the old grandstand

And best of all 2-0 win Vs Southend United

Well worth our 12 hour day pilgrimage from North Devon

Well done ARGYLE !!!! :scarf:

#StripesAreBack :thumbs:

greeneagle

✅ Evergreen
Jan 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Spot on Graham, I also noticed John Harbin went straight to Mellor and stuck his arm around him. Good stuff.
Makings of a good team on the evidence of the second half, but consistency will be key.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Agree with Graham Clark--good support for Mellor from the Lyndy in appreciation of his second half performance--also a real ripple of approval when the crowd picked up JS laying into the players for about 20 seconds--crowds like passion and Mellor and JS both, in very different ways, showed this yesterday. I would also say that the atmosphere in the Lyndhurst was the most positive i have experienced (granted this is only my 4th season), but I didn't pick up any of the negativity that has often poisoned the occasion. I hope it lasts.