Dudley Barry | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Dudley Barry

C

C. Slade

Reserve games were free in the mid to late 60's if you had a season ticket. I remember a mid fielder called Dudley Barry who seemed to always turn in impressive performances but rarely, if ever, got a first team opportunity. Anyone as ancient as me remember him?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Very well. It turns out that Mike Trebilcock came to Argyle with Dudley - not the other way about. Ellis Stuttard had high hopes for him - perhaps another couple of inches in height and an extra stone in weight would have helped. Dudley is alive and well and living in Bideford. One of the best players on the books never to have made it into the first team. He had a really good career in the game after Argyle when he joined Alex Jackson at Weymouth. At that time there was little difference between being a pro or going part-time with a job outside the game. Later Peter Kearns, Keith Etheridge and Tony Rounsevell trod the same path to Dorset and they were a very good side. Jackson, aided by Dudley Barry, ran the Weymouth lottery and both are exceedingly disappointed to see how their good work was eventually frittered away. These were two men who put far more money into football than they ever took out of it. When they left Weymouth the club owned (outright) twenty houses - when they started the lottery the club had two houses!!

C

C. Slade

Belated thanks to mm for such a detailed and interesting response.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Emu":1veaz73n said:
Emu, thanks for spotting that. You can see from that how useful Dudley is to researchers like me. He has a fantastic memory and seems to be able to recall every day of his life with great accuracy. Sadly, for many of the players from that era that is not always the case.