Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Some of the signatures i can recognise. George Kirby,Colin Buckingham, Gordon Fincham, Reg wyatt, Ken Maloy, Dave Maclaren, John Leiper, John Williams, Alex Gordon, Richard David, Stuart Brace, Nick Jennings, Frank Lord, Dave Corbett, Tony Book, Cliff Jackson, Geoff Barnsley, Len Casey,
Most of these were obtained at Mount Gould Hospital in April 1960, where my mother was the almoner there, i believe they were visiting a player who was recovering there.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Nick McFarlane":26x8g4i0 said:
Think you may have misread Alex Gordon. Should it have been Alex Govan.
I am wondering if the lad you refer to was called Alex Garden. A centre/inside forward, Alex was a prolific scorer in the reserves but never played a League game for Argyle - just one League Cup appearance at West Ham in 1962 (0-6). That score haunted him when it came to matches involving the Argyle first team. He returned with Corby Town in an FA Cup tie and Argyle won 6-0. Alex is alive and well and living in Aberdeen, where at one time he was considered a better prospect than Denis Law!! I speak to him quite often and he is still sad that he did not get the breaks at HP that he felt he deserved. In January 1963 Alex Jackson was also in Mount Gould hospital, after suffering a broken leg in an FA Cup tie against WBA. The consultant surgeon there at the time had a German name - Soltz or something like that? Over to you for that answer OG! In April 1960 they may have been visiting Dave Roberts or Len Casey, who both had ops around that time.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Richard David was also probably Richard Davis. Richard Davis was blonde and nothing like the picture of him on GOS profiles.But I digress.....Well remember dinga dinga dinga Corby Town...Their supporters had a bell rather than a drum...

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Ottawa Green":344o3gn8 said:
Some of the signatures i can recognise. George Kirby,Colin Buckingham, Gordon Fincham, Reg wyatt, Ken Maloy, Dave Maclaren, John Leiper, John Williams, Alex Gordon, Richard David, Stuart Brace, Nick Jennings, Frank Lord, Dave Corbett, Tony Book, Cliff Jackson, Geoff Barnsley, Len Casey,
Most of these were obtained at Mount Gould Hospital in April 1960, where my mother was the almoner there, i believe they were visiting a player who was recovering there.
Just looked at this in more detail. Dave Maclaren did not arrive at HP until June 1960, while Tony Book, Frank Lord and Cliff Jackson were (I think) post the 1962-63 season. Dave Corbett arrived in March 1962. Nicky Jennings too was not around the club until at least 1963. So it looks as if the signatures were spread over a wide time span. Kirby, Fincham and John Williams (Cardiff) all left prior to Book, Lord and Cliff Jackson arriving so they were unlikely to visit the hospital with them.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I believe my mother kept the autograph book at Mount Gould and got the players to sign when they came in, she would have worked there from late 50's to 1965 when we came to Canada.
Oddball you are correct Richard Davis, we never had a David, and Davis was with Argyle 63/64.
Memory Man you are good, yes it was Alex Garden. The only date that is in the book is the date April 1960, on that page there are 11 signatures, i recognise Bruce Fulton, Reg Wyatt, Len Casey... Most of the other signatures i mentioned are on other pages.
Memory i believe the Doctor's name was Saltz