Changes in National League play-offs

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Next season the play-offs in the National League will involve six teams, second place to seventh place.
Only one leg will take place with home advantage given to the higher place team.
4th v 7th and 5th v 6th.

The winner of those matches will play away to the 2nd and 3rd place teams with the winner of those playing the final at Wembley.

It could mean a team finishing in 6th or 7th place winning promotion by winning three games not played at their home ground.

Sep 13, 2003
They do a similar system in the Old Ryman Premier league, seems to work. Gives the team who finishes 2nd or 3rd less games plus home advantage. Surely a good thing?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Clarke_B":2dm2u0o8 said:
They do a similar system in the Old Ryman Premier league, seems to work. Gives the team who finishes 2nd or 3rd less games plus home advantage. Surely a good thing?

Too right Clarke. I think it is the best way to decide play offs.
Although 6 teams involved is too much.

Nov 18, 2011
I don't think it's too bad a move. It will give more teams something to play for come the end of the season, there were an awful lot of teams this season in the Conference who were stuck in mid table and with nothing to play for from around April.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Like the concept of finishing higher gives you an advantage. Saves any loss of interest once the promotion place is gone.

Personally I'd put 2nd team straight through to final. 5th play away to 4th. Winners away to 3rd. Winners in final vs 2nd. 2nd have a longer rest. If 5th want to go up they really have to perform. Why shouldn't 2nd be in an advantageous position?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
7th place could go up when only 2 team get promoted? :facepalm:

Why not do something that actually makes a difference, make it two automatic spots with the playoffs being battled out between the third to fifth place teams as well as third bottom team in League 2. It is hugely unfair that only two teams come up every year, if there isn't an appetite for 3 guaranteed relegation spots the very least offered to the National League could be a playoff for a third spot.