Cook to Wigan........ | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Cook to Wigan........

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
I initially raised an eyebrow, but it does appear to make sense for Cook. The kind of environment he's thrived in before, without the possible meddling and complications of new owners, and with a club/infrastructure that's shown it can make it's way up the leagues.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Now confirmed:

BBC

This paragraph is telling:

"It was only a minute ago at Portsmouth we were winning the league and we really did think our future was going to be there. But the way things have transpired with new ownership coming in that isn't the case," Cook told the Wigan club website

May 6, 2016
Ave_IT":35d4dirr said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40088408

Very odd.......... What does that say about Pompous's new sugar-Daddy investor? What does it say about the 'done deal' for Carey?

The club weren't willing/sensibly able to match the offer from Wigan which has been touted as £7k a week for three years. The new owner isn't on board yet but from what our CEO has said this afternoon I don't think he would have been willing to match the offer either, I don't think their plan is to inject unsustainable amounts in to the budget as a short term gamble, sounds to be more about building up infrastructure in the short term - I guess not dissimilar to what Brent is doing with you.

I've not heard much Carey to Pompey stuff at our end - and suspect any noise in that area was pure fantasy; it is silly season, after all. Assuming he has suitors in the Championship, and his decision is financial, I can't see (m)any L1 sides who could compete - given the gulf in the solidarity payment between Championship and League 1.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
signofthechimes":1n2sf7ms said:
Ave_IT":1n2sf7ms said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40088408

Very odd.......... What does that say about Pompous's new sugar-Daddy investor? What does it say about the 'done deal' for Carey?

The club weren't willing/sensibly able to match the offer from Wigan which has been touted as £7k a week for three years. The new owner isn't on board yet but from what our CEO has said this afternoon I don't think he would have been willing to match the offer either, I don't think their plan is to inject unsustainable amounts in to the budget as a short term gamble, sounds to be more about building up infrastructure in the short term - I guess not dissimilar to what Brent is doing with you.

I've not heard much Carey to Pompey stuff at our end - and suspect any noise in that area was pure fantasy; it is silly season, after all. Assuming he has suitors in the Championship, and his decision is financial, I can't see (m)any L1 sides who could compete - given the gulf in the solidarity payment between Championship and League 1.

So the new owner's idea of 'building up infrastructure' is to lose the Manager who has just won you a league? Think these guys think a football club can be run like a supermarket chain?

Really hope Pompey (esp fans) don't suffer over this but how many straws does a drowning man grasp before he decides that what he really needs is a lifeboat or a helicopter?? :think:

May 6, 2016
Pogleswoody":399hw203 said:
So the new owner's idea of 'building up infrastructure' is to lose the Manager who has just won you a league? Think these guys think a football club can be run like a supermarket chain?

Really hope Pompey (esp fans) don't suffer over this but how many straws does a drowning man grasp before he decides that what he really needs is a lifeboat or a helicopter?? :think:

In an ideal world Wigan wouldn't have been looking for a manager. Cook had a year left on his contract and Wigan offered him three years at, reportedly, more than double what he was earning with us at the start of this season. We offered improved terms for the same duration but couldn't get close to what Wigan offered. As Wigan satisfied the compensation requirement for the remaining year on Cook's contract he was always going to go.

We also don't have a new owner yet - due diligence is ongoing and the club is continuing to be run on the same budget as it would have been for next season, at this stage. Regardless, according to our CEO there won't be any increase to operational budgets under the new owners - but they will be investing in development squad/academy as well as sorting out H&S issues at our creaking old stadium; this tallies with what Eisner said when he 'pitched' to the fans ahead of the vote on the change of ownership. Personally, I'm comfortable with this - as I'm sure many Pompey fans are having, been bitten before by owners who overstretched.

I'm not spitting feathers like some of our support - as it's clear that money talks in football. Whilst losing a successful manager is not an ideal situation by any stretch - I'm comfortable with the rumours about Cook's replacement at this stage - it's not like when Redknapp was replaced with Tony Adams and it became clear how much trouble we were in ;-)

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
signofthechimes":2ume9zs3 said:
Pogleswoody":2ume9zs3 said:

In an ideal world Wigan wouldn't have been looking for a manager. Cook had a year left on his contract and Wigan offered him three years at, reportedly, more than double what he was earning with us at the start of this season. We offered improved terms for the same duration but couldn't get close to what Wigan offered. As Wigan satisfied the compensation requirement for the remaining year on Cook's contract he was always going to go.

We also don't have a new owner yet - due diligence is ongoing and the club is continuing to be run on the same budget as it would have been for next season, at this stage. Regardless, according to our CEO there won't be any increase to operational budgets under the new owners - but they will be investing in development squad/academy as well as sorting out H&S issues at our creaking old stadium; this tallies with what Eisner said when he 'pitched' to the fans ahead of the vote on the change of ownership. Personally, I'm comfortable with this - as I'm sure many Pompey fans are having, been bitten before by owners who overstretched.

I'm not spitting feathers like some of our support - as it's clear that money talks in football. Whilst losing a successful manager is not an ideal situation by any stretch - I'm comfortable with the rumours about Cook's replacement at this stage - it's not like when Redknapp was replaced with Tony Adams and it became clear how much trouble we were in ;-)
Hmmmmm.......... A reasonable explanation and oddly I think reassuring in a way. You know better than us but I was never convinced by Cook anyway. Perhaps a new start with a new boss & set-up with sustainable budgeting is the best long game. See you next year mate.

May 6, 2016
Steve Evans":3aflgi94 said:
looks like kenny jackett is the favourite to succeed

Done deal according to people at this end - he'd been linked for a few days. Our CEO's update today suggested that he favoured an appointment sooner rather than later (understandably).

Seems a sensible appointment given he's got plenty of experience of League 1 and, aside from his five week disaster at Rotherham last term, he has a decent record everywhere else - so really can't grumble.

May 6, 2016
Ave_IT":3n27u56p said:
Hmmmmm.......... A reasonable explanation and oddly I think reassuring in a way. You know better than us but I was never convinced by Cook anyway. Perhaps a new start with a new boss & set-up with sustainable budgeting is the best long game. See you next year mate.

I think Cook is a decent football manager - his record over the past four seasons are why he got the offer he did. He has his limitations and issues, but the anomaly that was our Premier League era aside (and even then we had some appalling managers), he was one of our better appointments. He's now got an opportunity (given that Wigan will have a very competitive budget) to get promoted in to the Championship and further his career - in a lower-risk strategy than here, given that we are likely to be consolidating for a while; and on significantly more cash.

I'm probably more concerned about the effect this will have on our squad. We've one or two players I think Cook may be interested in and given the offer they've made him, I suspect they may be able to turn players' heads too. Ho hum.

Let battle commence next season!

May 6, 2016
Cobi Budge":z97qpxpd said:
Kenny Jackett the new Pompey manager, good appointment to be honest.

Can't complain. Weird really - there weren't many fans wanted to lose Cook but, despite the risk in any new appointment, Jackett feels a pretty solid appointment. The reported compensation from Wigan softens any blow a little further. Your board have done well to tie Adams down, as they did last summer. Another decent season and he'll have suitors higher up the food/wages chain as well - but always reassuring to know you'll get compensated.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
signofthechimes":1ocsi3wq said:
Cobi Budge":1ocsi3wq said:
Kenny Jackett the new Pompey manager, good appointment to be honest.

Can't complain. Weird really - there weren't many fans wanted to lose Cook but, despite the risk in any new appointment, Jackett feels a pretty solid appointment. The reported compensation from Wigan softens any blow a little further. Your board have done well to tie Adams down, as they did last summer. Another decent season and he'll have suitors higher up the food/wages chain as well - but always reassuring to know you'll get compensated.

Seems like a very astute appointment to me. Jackett is a very steady, experienced manager and a proven track record. Pompey fans will obviously know a lot more than I do, but I think I'd actually be more happy having Jackett in charge rather than Cook. Time will tell I guess.

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
Additional benefit - we now have another rival team in addition to Plymouth.