Tisdale to Pompey? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Tisdale to Pompey?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Quintrell_Green":thid8iv4 said:
As assistant to Cook or a replacement. Exweb have whooshed somebody!
Cook is joining Wigan. Turned down a new contract at Portsmouth and compensation has been agreed.

Mar 23, 2008
Unless there's something behind the scenes with the take over, why would Cook take such a sideways move?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That's a bizarre move. He is from the north west though...

May 6, 2016
Deacster":2ho79v3q said:
Unless there's something behind the scenes with the take over, why would Cook take such a sideways move?

A wage apparently in the region of £7k a week is the answer - add to that Wigan will have a playing budget well in excess of ours and probably anyone else in the division.

The takeover is unlikely to result in significant change to our playing budget which, we're told, is mid-table for League 1. The main concern with Cook going is the disruption and knock on effect. Next season could be a tough one for us.

We'll be linked with most managers in the lower divisions, and Scotland, I suspect. Tisdale has been interviewed in the past, so no surprise his name is mentioned. I suspect much will depend on what sort of structure the new owners want in place.

Jul 29, 2010
Plus of course the expectation Pompey fans have is massively inflated compared to reality, a bad run and he'd be sacked. There were calls for him to go during a couple of spells last season.

Smart move from a smart man I say.

May 6, 2016
X Isle":2n73su22 said:
Plus of course the expectation Pompey fans have is massively inflated compared to reality, a bad run and he'd be sacked. There were calls for him to go during a couple of spells last season.

Smart move from a smart man I say.

Plenty of our support have inflated expectations and there was some vocal discontent during the season, for sure.

Cook is definitely a smart man, as well as a very decent manager at this level. He'll start next season on more than double the salary he was on 12 months previous with a budget that gives him every chance of promotion to the Championship where he'll be able to draw an even bigger wage. Some of our support will froth at his 'betrayal' but are blind if they can't see why he's going. I suspect we'll also lose a few of our better players to Wigan, which is a wrench - but if they can increase their remuneration then they'll go. As I said, I think next season is going to be a tough one for us.

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
I agree, it's a smart move, although not one from a manager that has complete faith in themselves. With a settled team and the potential for investment, Cook had a good chance of pushing for play-offs this season and potentially increasing his stock even further. It seems he's taken the money instead - if it's 7k a week for 3 seasons, that's a million over the course of his contract, and most wouldn't turn that down. However, it's a shame he hasn't backed himself as much as his greatest supporters down here have.