Pompey Investor | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Pompey Investor

Jul 29, 2010
You can hear the sound of a cash register ringing out and the flight of thousands of souls making their way though it's gates.

You'd have thought that a club so regularly shafted by outside investors would be once TWICE bitten, thrice shy. To have your club protected as a community owned asset is something all fans dream of in these days of unscrupulous ownership, to give it away is just pure unadulterated GREED.

Mr. Disney may well be a nice chap with lots of money and good intentions, but once taken out of community/fan ownership it is gone forever, who he eventually sells it to quite possibly won't be.

I hope they fall flat on their faces, in the short term or the long term.

NB - This is an Argyle discussion board, this should go to the football forum.

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
Pompey fan here - I wouldn't expect us to buy the title this year. The takeover is unlikely to be finalised until near to the end of the transfer window, and he's made noises about wanting stability and building an academy before rushing up the leagues.

The benefit for us is that we had £5 million to be spent on our stadium to keep it open, which he's now paid for. Looks like we've at least got stability for this coming season.

Oct 10, 2012
After the crap they've been through twice already they won't have my sympathy when it all goes wrong again.

Disgusting.

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
Unfortunately, fan ownership isn't seeming like a viable option for an aspirational club with an old stadium. We won't deserve any sympathy if we get taken for a ride again however, based on what we know, it is the right decision for the future if the club.

Jul 29, 2010
For "aspirational" see greedy :thumbdown:

Given what you have endured from Gydamac (spelling) and co previously you should be aspiring to ensure outside investment is never let through the door again. During your administrations I had no sympathy for your club but I did sympathise with your fan base, there but for the grace of god go we, and we did. But as fans, to willingly go back to that ownership model with eyes open wide as to what it can bring, ALL sympathy is lost.

You saved your club, aspire to keep it.

But no, you can't live content with a simple existence, you think you 'deserve' a higher existence. You don't. You have yet again taken money you have no control over by sacrificing self determination, sacrificing living within your means.

I hope if/when it all goes wrong again, that you fold :wave:

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
I am struggling to see the rationale here....Pompey fans bought their club out of admin with a share offer that provided for a future sale process...so when someone comes along and makes a case it is entirely up to them if they decide to sell their shares ( for no profit) so that someone else can drive the club forwards. It isn't a crime for fans to be ambitious for their club. If they see fan ownership as being too limiting for their ambition then they have every right to look at other financial models.

Eisner is just a better financed Brent. Portsmouth as a fan owned club had a bleak financial future, and so they looked for other options...or should they have waited until the cash ran out and HMRC tried to close them down. Using that logic we shouldn't be letting Hallett lend us the money to build the Grandstand because we the fans should be the financial saviours of the club...and as we can't afford to do it then we should be left to decline.

having a rich owner isn't a panacea ...ask Birmingham Leeds Villa Forest Derby Newcastle and of course Orient.

Equally being fan owned isn't a proven model for success either it can be Barcelona or Exeter or Ebbsfleet.

I followed the debate on the Pompey boards and there were plenty of fans that were anti selling up...but the driving factor was that if they didn't find a financial saviour they would be having to close their ground or large parts of it making them even less financially viable....the fact they found a financier who wants to invest in facilities and the club is to their credit and advantage...

Until the legal niceties and due diligence are carried out the money won't be flowing so for this window I think Pompey are on the level playing field or maybe even less well off as they have to make the ground improvements from current funds which mean they don't have tons of cash ...yet....

they are losing players like Stevens to Championship wages and Eisner himself said that they could not compete ....

They will be decent next season as will we...as for the future we like they still have to gain parity with Burton Albion

Jul 29, 2010
I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying they shouldn't.

If they're struggling to fund parts of their ground then they must close, simple as. I'm a firm and long-standing advocate of not over reaching, of living within your means. It seems to me that Pompey have been existing beyond their means for decades.

No sympathy when this, under Eisner or future owners, goes wrong.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
I get that but the issue is that fan ownership isn't the only model available to them..just because they went down the fan ownership route once doesn't mean they have to stay that way....just as we could as fans team up and buy out JB...except we won't.

Companies are assets with shareholders and as such can be bought and sold, subject to any restrictions placed upon them by Articles of association etc. and that didn't change when they became fan owned.

So if Eisner had come into Plymouth and offered to buy out JB he would be within his right to sell to him if he so wished...Pompey fans who own shares are no different.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We have had our own (tenuous) links with the Disney corporation within the last 10 years. Answers on a postcard. :)

Jul 29, 2010
pafcprogs":1n9y8roo said:
I get that but the issue is that fan ownership isn't the only model available to them..just because they went down the fan ownership route once doesn't mean they have to stay that way....just as we could as fans team up and buy out JB...except we won't.

Companies are assets with shareholders and as such can be bought and sold, subject to any restrictions placed upon them by Articles of association etc. and that didn't change when they became fan owned.

So if Eisner had come into Plymouth and offered to buy out JB he would be within his right to sell to him if he so wished...Pompey fans who own shares are no different.
More than slightly patronising that, I do know how business works :lol:

As I say, again, they CAN sell their shares, they SHOULDN'T sell their shares.

If they want to ensure the future of their football club then they need to keep it in their hands. They are prepared however to risk that because they have an inflated opinion of where they should be in the footballing hierarchy and are prepared to risk the future of their football club again to get there. That in my book is greed and if/when it goes wrong I will have no sympathy.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Patronising? Moi?

You seem to have overlooked that the advice from the Pompey Fans Trust was that the fans couldn't afford to run the club ....it has relied on windfall income and existing reserves which would have been more than exhausted by the repair bills essential to play in the league...

Anyway...it isn't our fight, it is theirs and they have made their choice democratically and with great public scrutiny.

Personally I subscribe to the philosophy that the only way to make a small fortune in football is start with a large one and buy a club.

Jul 29, 2010
I have overlooked nothing. Pompey fans have sold their soul to the devil, gambled the family silver in the hope of yielding rich rewards despite having 20:20 clarity over how that has worked for them before.

If they can't afford ground repairs they should sell some players, or close those sections of the ground. That's what other clubs do, they live within their means. You can't have your cake and eat it, if you can't afford it, don't spend it...but that's not the Pompey way, is it.

I wish them the very worst in the forthcoming season.