Why in the national press are we known as Plymouth not Argyl | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Why in the national press are we known as Plymouth not Argyl

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
The sign on top of the players tunnel reads, 'We are Argyle'
The videprinters all say Plymouth not Plymouth Argyle, how do we get the name Argyle to the fore.
Is is because we have only ever had moderate success at Tier 2 level, for only short periods of time, never played in the top tier. For instance teams with unique second names;who are known and referred to by their second names include:
Leyton Orient, known as Orient
Crystal Palace, known as Palace
Nottingham Forest, know as Forest
OK those clubs apart from Orient (with respect to them) have a greater pedigree of success than our Argyle. That might be the reason why the city name is more prominent.
Does it really matter? No, but as we hopefully climb the leagues, can the club do some proper marketing to promote the name Argyle and also the Mayflower pilgrimage.
With Hallett now on board can we at once realise the Argyle connection in the USA and with fellow director Peter Jones a marketing and advertising professional surely as a club we have the opportunity to grow our support far and wide. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I guess if Parkway were more prominent then it would be used more often. In Nottingham there are two clubs and locals refer to them as Forest and County in the same way on Manchester the clubs are City and United.

Leyton Orient were once Clapton Orient and for a period of time just Orient so I can understand that one. Palace are named after the Crystal Palace rather than a geographical location and in it's day people would visit "the Palace." They wouldn't have a day out at the Crystal. The terminology has transferred to the club.

Crewe are the same as Argyle in that their unique suffix is used locally but not so much nationally. Accrington are sometimes called simply "Stanley" but historically, there was once a different club in the town who were Accrington FC.

Argyle are in good company though. The nationals don't refer to that Haringey club as Hotspur, do they?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":13zv3n90 said:
I guess if Parkway were more prominent then it would be used more often. In Nottingham there are two clubs and locals refer to them as Forest and County in the same way on Manchester the clubs are City and United.

Leyton Orient were once Clapton Orient and for a period of time just Orient so I can understand that one. Palace are named after the Crystal Palace rather than a geographical location and in it's day people would visit "the Palace." They wouldn't have a day out at the Crystal. The terminology has transferred to the club.

Crewe are the same as Argyle in that their unique suffix is used locally but not so much nationally. Accrington are sometimes called simply "Stanley" but historically, there was once a different club in the town who were Accrington FC.

Argyle are in good company though. The nationals don't refer to that Haringey club as Hotspur, do they?

What .... Spurs?? :think:

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
Lundan, see your point about Argyle being a single city/town club. The clubs I mentioned were only an example, none the less good knowledge and possibly I did not use the best examples i.e.: also the clubs Palace & Orient don't include their town\city of origin in their name, same as Vale (Port Vale). Spurs is just a shortened name for Hotspur?

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that unlike these clubs in the national press the name Argyle is generally dropped, we are known and referred to as simply Plymouth. Nottingham Forest are always referred to as either Forest or their full name.

Making the Argyle more prominent and referred to in the greater press and fans who support Tier 1\2 teams. I am sure if you polled your typical plastic premier league fans and asked the question 'complete the names of these football teams;
Crystal .....
Nottingham .....
Leyton ......
Port ...
Plymouth ..... ?

I think that less han half would know Argyle. Whilst a higher percentage would know the others (maybe with the exception of Port Vale).
The club have an opportunity to create a strong name and brand and spread that name far and wide.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
BHS":1ped11gj said:
Lundan, see your point about Argyle being a single city/town club. The clubs I mentioned were only an example, none the less good knowledge and possibly I did not use the best examples i.e.: also the clubs Palace & Orient don't include their town\city of origin in their name, same as Vale (Port Vale). Spurs is just a shortened name for Hotspur?

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that unlike these clubs in the national press the name Argyle is generally dropped, we are known and referred to as simply Plymouth. Nottingham Forest are always referred to as either Forest or their full name.

Making the Argyle more prominent and referred to in the greater press and fans who support Tier 1\2 teams. I am sure if you polled your typical plastic premier league fans and asked the question 'complete the names of these football teams;
Crystal .....
Nottingham .....
Leyton ......
Port ...
Plymouth ..... ?

I think that less han half would know Argyle. Whilst a higher percentage would know the others (maybe with the exception of Port Vale).
The club have an opportunity to create a strong name and brand and spread that name far and wide.

Most other fans will know we're Plymouth Argyle same as Orient etc. It can't be informalised to Argyle on Sky or whoever without it sounding like a supporter. Listen next year, you'll find it's the the match summarisers on Gillette soccer that might shorten the terms because of the time given to them whereas the main presenter will say Plymouth or Tottenham or whatever.