When Jimmy Greaves drew thousands to Home Park | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

When Jimmy Greaves drew thousands to Home Park

S

stefano

Not at the ground depicted in the picture Ottawa! That is Plainmoor and shows Torquay keeper Terry Adlington diving at the feet of Jimmy Greaves in a 3-3 3rd round FA Cup match on 9 January 1965.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
βœ… Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
He played his first game in a Spurs shirt for the reserve team on 9 December 1961, and scored twice in a 4–1 win over Plymouth Argyle Reserves at Home Park. Where you at this one. I was.

S

stefano

Ottawa Green":14dpc3zr said:
He played his first game in a Spurs shirt for the reserve team on 9 December 1961, and scored twice in a 4–1 win over Plymouth Argyle Reserves at Home Park. Where you at this one. I was.
Yes I know that and it was not what I was saying. The Herald story about Greaves and him drawing a crowd of 13000 to a reserve game has a photo at the top which any reasonable reader would assume is the game mentioned. It is an archive photo and I would bet the Herald doesn't even know that it isn't!

No I was not at the game at Home Park as I was only 9 and lived at Newton Abbot. I was though at the game featured by the Herald as the lead photo....

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
I was there too. Jimmy did nothing during the game, but scored two late goals - it just proves what a striker/poacher he was. Still the BEST poacher I have ever seen in 60 years of watching football..............................................

Keith Hennessey

πŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡³πŸ‡Ώ
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
I was there with my father. Wasn't Jimmy Greaves the first player to command a then staggering fee of Β£100,000 ?

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
βœ… Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Wasn't Jimmy Greaves the first player to command a then staggering fee of Β£100,000 ?
No he wasn't.

After protracted negotiations, Bill Nicholson signed Greaves for Tottenham Hotspur in December 1961 for Β£99,999 – the unusual fee was intended to relieve Greaves of the pressure of being the first Β£100,000 player in British football

Keith Hennessey

πŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡³πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡³πŸ‡Ώ
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
Ottawa Green":1vjqc546 said:
Wasn't Jimmy Greaves the first player to command a then staggering fee of Β£100,000 ?
No he wasn't.

After protracted negotiations, Bill Nicholson signed Greaves for Tottenham Hotspur in December 1961 for Β£99,999 – the unusual fee was intended to relieve Greaves of the pressure of being the first Β£100,000 player in British football

Close but no cigar.. :sigh: