Written Press | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Written Press

N

NorfolkGreen

I was curious to know if the written press, those who report on football, go through any football related training or qualifications to enable them to pass judgement on the results and performances of teams?

A

ArgyleAndy

Reporters don't have to have any football related qualifications or training.

They're just football fans like anyone else. I did a Sports Journalism degree at uni but I think the most successful way of gaining a sports journalism related qualification is to go on a NCTJ course: http://www.nctj.com/journalism-qualific ... rse-search?

A

ArgyleAndy

I also find it very frustrating how I struggled to get a job once I finished my course, knowing how poorly the Argyle OS is and how bad they communicate with fans through social media.

N

NorfolkGreen

I'm surprised the various managers, who might be a bit more prickly, don't respond to journalists by asking why they feel qualified to point out tactical and technical points in the game, when in fact they have no technical background in the subject.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
ArgyleAndy":1wt3ozl1 said:
I also find it very frustrating how I struggled to get a job once I finished my course, knowing how poorly the Argyle OS is and how bad they communicate with fans through social media.

Apart from all those awards they've got, and for the excellent programme too.

Generally journalism is an ultra, ultra competitive workplace now. Made even more so by the added competition of the internet, and local and national papers closing down everywhere.

I happen to think that journalists and pundits should all do a refereeing course before passing judgement on officials. The amount of times an incident is replayed over and over, before someone decides that a ref has had a howler. Equally, I still don't know how it's humanly possible for a linesman to about whether someone is onside or offside by a couple of inches.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
NorfolkGreen":2iis5p9g said:
I'm surprised the various managers, who might be a bit more prickly, don't respond to journalists by asking why they feel qualified to point out tactical and technical points in the game, when in fact they have no technical background in the subject.
I completely agree with you NG. I cannot quite recall the story but several reporters wrote some "authoritative" stuff about a manager getting sacked if the next result was a defeat. He did suffer a defeat and he wasn't sacked. Two or three days later he held a routine news conference. If I was him I could not have stopped myself from naming them and asking them to publicly justify what they wrote. Unfortunately, as with Glenn Hoddle, if you do not play their game they will bring you down.