Sean Dyche & Burnley | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Sean Dyche & Burnley

Apr 12, 2016
Was looking at the EPL table a short while ago. Was surprised to see Burnley up in 10th but thought struck me at the same time that Burnley stuck with Dyche after they got relegated two years ago. In truth they never looked like staying up then but they stuck with him, came straight back up and look fairly comfortable at the moment.

Given the hire and fire nature of football management perhaps some evidence that is better to give managers some proper time in their jobs and not wield the axe at the first opportunity ?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Most clubs want instant success because they invest so much to start with.

Swansea was the role model of last few seasons but even they are now getting sucked into the financial merry go round of club demise.

I think the worst thing for Burnley would be to see a rich owner fancy taking over another premier league club and change the philosophy of the day to day running of the club.

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
Earlier in this particular forum I recommended the book 'Living on the Volcano"' about surviving as a Football Manager. Sean Dyche was one of the people interviewed by the author. He comes across as a very smart and articulate individual who places emphasis on the alignment between the Board and Manager particularly in clubs like Burnley who are poor by Premier League standards with no rich sugar daddy.

It will be interesting to see how long Burnley can keep him.

Apr 12, 2016
Thing is I look at Burnley and can see a way for Argyle to do similar particularly after the stand is sorted. Hope so.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Since I Was 33":3aysyt2e said:
Thing is I look at Burnley and can see a way for Argyle to do similar particularly after the stand is sorted. Hope so.

I see where you are coming from in that Burnley got promoted from THe Championship and seem to survive in THe Premiership with relatively small gates. I do not know how old you are but when I was at school Burnley for years were a club regularly performing in the old First Division and I think I can recall them winning the First Division Championship one year. They had internationals like Jimmy McClroy, Mcdonald an England keeper, Leighton James a Welsh international winger and Ray Pilkington a winger. It is a classic Lancashire mill town that has had better days, but back in te late 50's and 60's it competed with the Man U's and Arsenal's of this world because they had a magical recruiting scout in the North East so there was a regular supply of talent crossing the Pennines to Turf Moor with an autocratic butcher Chairman called Bob Lord.

The point that I am making is that there is a tradition of top level soccer that Plymouth do not have in a town that is very 'tight' and clannish in their unflinching support. I think that possibly Plymouth could be more like Bournemouth but remember even that Club has an owner who is extremely wealthy, who backed the club in The CHampionship. We are yet to see how long they will survive at the top even with an excellent young manager.