✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Very sudden. RIP Graham. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

BBC

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Bernie Bernbaum":2fhjd5py said:
A decent man. RIP.
That is certainly how many recall him. A very capable one too - he took both Villa and Watford to runners-up in the top tier and (unfortunately for us) to runners-up in the FA Cup too. One of the few very young managers to survive and go on to great things.

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
Very sad and tragic.

Of course a true WFC legend or maybe the true WFC legend!

Will always remember the 2 promotions in 98 and 99 under GT (was too late to enjoy the wonderful era of the late 70s/80s)

RIP.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Was fortunate enough to have met him (a couple of years before his Watford team beat us in the 1984 semi) and he was knowledgeable and very pleasant. It was obvious he loved football and had a massive enthusiasm for the game.

His treatment by the media during his England days was disgusting. Nobody deserved to be pilloried to that extent for failing to win football matches. He maintained his dignity despite the vicious barbs.

RIP Graham.

Aug 30, 2016
Peverell
Very sad news. I've never forgotten his generous praise of Argyle after that FA Cup semi-final. A nice guy and a fine manager.

My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Graham.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
RIP.

His England tenure ended just as my interest in football began. I was always impressed by his manner and his commentary was interesting because he was enthusiastic and knowledgeable and clearly wasn't 'coached' like most footballer pundits.

Apr 15, 2015
It's lovely to see these sentiments but such a shame that there is the need for them.

Watford are my first footballing love, though being in plymouth I rarely get to see them and therefore follow the Green Army far more on a day by day basis.

I started to follow Watford in about 1981 in the old Second Division (didn't make the 84 cup semi or final sadly) but had many great years of enjoyment during both GTs spells in charge - coming second to Liverpool and Wembley in 99 stand out.

Was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times and he was both very charming and knowledgeable.

I believe his legacy will be the total transformation of the experience of watching football from the hooligan days into a far more family friendly experience (though not the corporate prawn sandwich munching part). He, Sir Elton John and the WFC board of the early 80s introduced the family terrace (and later seated family area) and kickstarted much of the community work that is taken for granted these days.

I was going to the Stevenage game but will be at Vicarage Rd instead tomorrow- I just had to be there! It really feels like I've lost a family member.

RIP Graham

Aug 5, 2015
Whilst I'm very sorry to hear this news and he was a great manager/bloke etc let's also remember he told Ryan Giggs he wasn't good enough to play for England and he should go play for Wales instead! No one is perfect.

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
Did he...

I thought Giggs wanted to play for Wales as it was the country of his mother?

Anyway as HG says a great man who will be fondly remembered at the Vic as the tribute showed.

Its a shame the current team didn't really put on a performance for him and the watching family/fans as a tribute.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
WFC4EVER":3acrafb9 said:
Did he...

I thought Giggs wanted to play for Wales as it was the country of his mother?

Anyway as HG says a great man who will be fondly remembered at the Vic as the tribute showed.

Its a shame the current team didn't really put on a performance for him and the watching family/fans as a tribute.

Giggs has no qualification to play for England. Born in Wales of Welsh parents, although he could have played for Sierra Leone thanks to a grandparent. I'm sure the quote was very tongue in cheek once GT was told of the facts.

Aug 5, 2016
Kentishgreen":1z30i1cz said:
Whilst I'm very sorry to hear this news and he was a great manager/bloke etc let's also remember he told Ryan Giggs he wasn't good enough to play for England and he should go play for Wales instead! No one is perfect.

Giggs was a star and a Man Utd regular by the age of 19. I don't think international managers tell talented teenagers to go and play somewhere else! Giggs played for Wales primarily because he was born in Wales to Welsh parents and identifies as Welsh.