ABBA coming to the EFL | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

ABBA coming to the EFL

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Penalty shoot outs in this year's Carabao Cup (League Cup), Checkatrade Trophy and the divisional play-offs will follow the newly proposed ABBA format by way of a season long trial.

https://www.efl.com/news/2017/july/efl- ... in-201718/

I saw this in action last week between WBA and Leicester in the PL Asia Trophy in Hong Kong. It was a job to keep up with the score without on screen captions but once it got to sudden death, going first alternated which meant the pressure alternated too. A thumbs up from me.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
A solution to a complete non-issue.

So there is a slight advantage going first, equally the team kicking towards their own fans gain an advantage, hence why both are decided by the coin toss.

"Innovation" :lol:

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Ollieargyle9":2b4gwicw said:

So there is a slight advantage going first, equally the team kicking towards their own fans gain an advantage, hence why both are decided by the coin toss.

So will they still toss the coin to decide which end they kick towards? Or will that be scrapped as well to be replaced by something 'innovative' too? Bring a goal in the middle of the pitch? Use the dugouts?

Have penalties ever been taken in anything other than ABAB format (if that's what it is called)? I'm sure people say they don't like the lottery of the shoot out, not the format.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
Ollieargyle9":esa74wi5 said:

Have a keeper at each end and take penalties simultaneously?

#MoreMadcapIdeas

(actually, the ABBA thing makes sense even if it is hardly the most pressing issue in football)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Adam_R":fm8tenjp said:
Ollieargyle9":fm8tenjp said:

So will they still toss the coin to decide which end they kick towards? Or will that be scrapped as well to be replaced by something 'innovative' too? Bring a goal in the middle of the pitch? Use the dugouts?

Have penalties ever been taken in anything other than ABAB format (if that's what it is called)? I'm sure people say they don't like the lottery of the shoot out, not the format.

At a lot of grounds there are home fans behind both goals but they still have to make the decision of which end to use so can't see the toss of a coin changing although in my refereeing days it was the ref's decision as to which goal to use.