Ethan Ampadu joining Chelsea | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ethan Ampadu joining Chelsea

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Not sure what kind of financial deal Exeter will receive from this, but, for the player is this the right move?

He will either be loaned out to a variety of clubs over next 2 or 3 seasons and then be released by Chelsea or will be stuck in amongst the hordes of young players at the club. To make it in the game he might have been better staying in the lower leagues and developing there.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... y-transfer

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That's such a shame. How can he and his family not be aware of what Chelsea do?

They buy up any decent youngster they can, loan them out and treat them as assets to sell on for a higher fee. The last Chelsea player to make the step up from youth team to first team regular was John Terry. Reuben Loftus Cheek at a very hard push.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Chelsea do have a fine academy though and he will have a better (although still slim) chance of becoming a top player by going there than he would by staying in League Two. He is going there to learn his trade, not to get Champions League football.

Jun 2, 2016
Cabbie, do you think this will go to a tribunal? And if so what would be your educated guess at a figure?
We got £280k for Nelson whose salary and new offer would surely have been a lot higher than Ampadu's. The potential seems high for this player but how can a tribunal put a price on potential?

Feb 28, 2016
I don't think it is the best move myself, although I do hope I'm proven wrong because I have nothing against the lad and wish him nothing but luck.

If he was at Argyle and had the choice to do his apprenticeship at Chelsea, I would be tempted to say go for it when you look at where the boys who have been taken on by us post 18 end up often as little as 12 months later.

However he was already staking a claim for himself at Exeter, had a captain in Jordan Moor-Tyler to look up to who's footsteps he could have followed in, not to mention Watkins and Pym, it's clear to see you would get a fair crack of the whip there. Whilst Tisdale is I believe technically working his notice, I would be surprised if a new deal isn't agreed so you would on balance, probably look forward to working with a manager with a good record of bringing people through.

It just seems a bit like grabbing the first thing that comes along and this will surely be an EPPP appeal.Exeter won't get that much compared to if he did a Matt Grimes. Good luck to the lad like I said I hope he has made the right choice and he is big enough and ugly enough to make that choice. Although if he was my lad I would advised against it.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Great move for him.

He will develop far more than he would have at City, regardless of if he never makes the first team.

He'all make good money doing it too.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
the_corkscrew":2pxnyn44 said:
Cabbie, do you think this will go to a tribunal? And if so what would be your educated guess at a figure?
We got £280k for Nelson whose salary and new offer would surely have been a lot higher than Ampadu's. The potential seems high for this player but how can a tribunal put a price on potential?

He is under 18 so he will have gone to Chelsea under EPPP. I don't know at what age he joined Exeter but assuming it was 9, Exeter will be expecting an immediate £56k and up to £1.3 million as he progresses. However, on top of that he may already be on a professional with City rather than a development contract for which they can negotiate fees with Chelsea. Nelson was out of contract so comparisons are not the same.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Lundan Cabbie":2uf9r6w6 said:
the_corkscrew":2uf9r6w6 said:

He is under 18 so he will have gone to Chelsea under EPPP. I don't know at what age he joined Exeter but assuming it was 9, Exeter will be expecting an immediate £56k and up to £1.3 million as he progresses. However, on top of that he may already be on a professional with City rather than a development contract for which they can negotiate fees with Chelsea. Nelson was out of contract so comparisons are not the same.
Ampadu is 16, so the chances are that he was out of contract too. I think they'd have offered him a professional deal (If you can at 16? I'm not certain on that one) but I don't know if that would make it go to a tribunal or not. Certainly it sounded as if it would, should a fee not be agreed, based off Exeter's post on their website.

Feb 28, 2016
Argy1e":ukkbzfyk said:
Lundan Cabbie":ukkbzfyk said:
the_corkscrew":ukkbzfyk said:

Ampadu is 16, so the chances are that he was out of contract too. I think they'd have offered him a professional deal (If you can at 16? I'm not certain on that one) but I don't know if that would make it go to a tribunal or not. Certainly it sounded as if it would, should a fee not be agreed, based off Exeter's post on their website.

I could well be wrong but I don't think you can just leave school and walk into any job at 16 these days can you? Pretty much the only way into the workplace (and get paid) at 16 is an apprenticeship, which has a fair proportion of theory in college, and you need to get Maths and English key skills if you didn't pass your GCSEs. I assume the football one is similar.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
MarkMatthews":2ihvoxo4 said:
Argy1e":2ihvoxo4 said:
Lundan Cabbie":2ihvoxo4 said:
the_corkscrew":2ihvoxo4 said:

I could well be wrong but I don't think you can just leave school and walk into any job at 16 these days can you? Pretty much the only way into the workplace (and get paid) at 16 is an apprenticeship, which has a fair proportion of theory in college, and you need to get Maths and English key skills if you didn't pass your GCSEs. I assume the football one is similar.

Of course you can. You can still leave school at Easter of year 11and take a full time job providing are 16 & 3 months. You'd miss your GCSE's but that's your own choice.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":2yr5zlm7 said:
:wave: Bye then. See you on a bench sometime. Still who wants first team football when you can be better paid for not playing? :wave:

You've missed the point that he has still got a lot to learn and has moved to a great academy to move forward.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":1vc3mjqn said:
Pogleswoody":1vc3mjqn said:
:wave: Bye then. See you on a bench sometime. Still who wants first team football when you can be better paid for not playing? :wave:

You've missed the point that he has still got a lot to learn and has moved to a great academy to move forward.

Ok let's give it 5 years and see where he is and how many first team games he has played shall we?
No other way of seeing who is 'right' is there so think I'll go back to watching Argo! :thumbs: :scarf:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":3512bz72 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3512bz72 said:
Pogleswoody":3512bz72 said:

Ok let's give it 5 years and see where he is and how many first team games he has played shall we?
No other way of seeing who is 'right' is there so think I'll go back to watching Argo! :thumbs: :scarf:

In five years time we will not be able to see where he would have been had he stayed down here so even hindsight will be a clouded view.