World Cup Play-Offs | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

World Cup Play-Offs

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
Peru beat New Zealand last night to complete the line up.

As others have said, there seem to be 4/5 brilliant teams at the world cup next year but there are also some pretty poor ones. England should make the quarters.

greeneagle

✅ Evergreen
Jan 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
The-Pilgrim":2yfit4nm said:

As others have said, there seem to be 4/5 brilliant teams at the world cup next year but there are also some pretty poor ones. England should make the quarters.

Rory Fallon was on the bench :shock:

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
greeneagle":1x13jq7k said:
The-Pilgrim":1x13jq7k said:
[/Peru beat New Zealand last night to complete the line up.

Rory Fallon was on the bench :shock:

NZ preparation not helped by Peru fans letting off massive fireworks overnight outside the team hotel , to be followed at dawn by Air Force jets doing a low level pass .

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
khennes_904":1te7hrus said:
greeneagle":1te7hrus said:
The-Pilgrim":1te7hrus said:
[/Peru beat New Zealand last night to complete the line up.

Rory Fallon was on the bench

NZ preparation not helped by Peru fans letting off massive fireworks overnight outside the team hotel , to be followed at dawn by Air Force jets doing a low level pass .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

That's commitment. Top marks to the Peruvians.

Sep 13, 2003
The-Pilgrim":2c6687h6 said:

What do you base your theory on Pilgrim?!
England have failled to score, nevermind win, against Costa Rica and Slovakia in the past two tournaments and couldn't beat a poor Russian side and lost to Iceland. I think we would do well to respect the smaller nations and not be so blindly arrogant.
We even struggled in two games against the worst Scottish side I can ever remember. I'm going to Russia on the basis that I will happy to see England score a single goal in the three group games....nevermind get to the Quarter Finals!

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Clarke_B":2zqzl662 said:
The-Pilgrim":2zqzl662 said:

England have failled to score, nevermind win, against Costa Rica and Slovakia in the past two tournaments and couldn't beat a poor Russian side and lost to Iceland. I think we would do well to respect the smaller nations and not be so blindly arrogant.
We even struggled in two games against the worst Scottish side I can ever remember. I'm going to Russia on the basis that I will happy to see England score a single goal in the three group games....nevermind get to the Quarter Finals!

Yep. We are still pretty dire and match Argyle in our lack of creativity it seems. A trouble-free qualifying campaign has rarely been a sign of good things to come as far as England are concerned.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
Clarke_B":1yeta84c said:
The-Pilgrim":1yeta84c said:

I'm judging that on the fact that we have some players on fire at the moment. Butland/Hart in goal are playing well. Walker/Stones/Jones/Smalling/Rose/Cahill are playing well consistently for their teams, Stones probably the best defender in the PL this season. We have some solid midfielders which could be elevated if Lallana and Wilshere can get fit. Going forward with Kane/Alli/Rashford/Vardy we can cause any team trouble.

Of course a lot will depend on the draw but I'd be very disappointed if we went out in the groups, last 16 has to be a minimum but on our day we can cause any team trouble.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
The-Pilgrim":1r5y692s said:
Clarke_B":1r5y692s said:
The-Pilgrim":1r5y692s said:

I'm judging that on the fact that we have some players on fire at the moment. Butland/Hart in goal are playing well. Walker/Stones/Jones/Smalling/Rose/Cahill are playing well consistently for their teams, Stones probably the best defender in the PL this season. We have some solid midfielders which could be elevated if Lallana and Wilshere can get fit. Going forward with Kane/Alli/Rashford/Vardy we can cause any team trouble.

Of course a lot will depend on the draw but I'd be very disappointed if we went out in the groups, last 16 has to be a minimum but on our day we can cause any team trouble.

The problem with a lot of England supporters is that we see teams like Panama, Senegal, Peru, Serbia, etc and assume we will beat them based on our qualification and friendly performances. I think since around 2010 we have been proved embarrassingly wrong.

Imagine a group such as this for example;

Belgium
England
Egypt
Australia

I genuinely think we'd struggle to qualify from that group.

Sep 13, 2003
jespafc":3l78xj9e said:
The-Pilgrim":3l78xj9e said:
Clarke_B":3l78xj9e said:
The-Pilgrim":3l78xj9e said:

The problem with a lot of England supporters is that we see teams like Panama, Senegal, Peru, Serbia, etc and assume we will beat them based on our qualification and friendly performances. I think since around 2010 we have been proved embarrassingly wrong.

Belgium
England
Egypt
Australia

I agree we would struggle Jes. I don't think England supporters who go to games assume we should beat teams much lower down the ranking than us....I think fans like Pilgrim above watch too much Premier League football and honestly believes it is better than it actually is. Rose has barely played this season, Hart is terribly average and should never set foot at Wembley ever again, Vardy peaked two seasons ago and doesn't play well for England. Phil Jones?! Haha. Don't have to say much there. As usual the media will start to hype up the youngsters (Loftus-Cheek, Winks) but in reality we are coming home early whatever group we are drawn in. As long as the vodka is good I don't care !

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Clarke_B":1z2ofpgf said:
jespafc":1z2ofpgf said:
The-Pilgrim":1z2ofpgf said:
Clarke_B":1z2ofpgf said:
The-Pilgrim":1z2ofpgf said:

Belgium
England
Egypt
Australia

I agree we would struggle Jes. I don't think England supporters who go to games assume we should beat teams much lower down the ranking than us....I think fans like Pilgrim above watch too much Premier League football and honestly believes it is better than it actually is. Rose has barely played this season, Hart is terribly average and should never set foot at Wembley ever again, Vardy peaked two seasons ago and doesn't play well for England. Phil Jones?! Haha. Don't have to say much there. As usual the media will start to hype up the youngsters (Loftus-Cheek, Winks) but in reality we are coming home early whatever group we are drawn in. As long as the vodka is good I don't care !

Yeah, very true. The recent signs are good and I think a little patience will hopefully reap rewards in perhaps in 2022, 2024 and 2026.