Pompey Investor | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pompey Investor

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Very noble of them to do that not for profit, What about all the businesses that went to the wall from the old saviors.

This is what is wrong with football in every other world there would be no PAFC or PFC and this stinks and makes monkeys out of the fit and proper bollox that the league keep spouting.

Lets be honest its all down to the premier league and not splitting gates 50/50 that caused all this, but Pompey fans get all they deserve if it all happens again and for me there would be no Fans United etc as they have brought it on themselves

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
I can see the point you are making but how many clubs "live within their means"

Our investment in the ground is a loan from someone who bought shares from an existing shareholder

So is theirs...

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
I completely understand both sides of the argument. Football clubs should aspire to live within their means however, unfortunately, that doesn't usually coincide with exciting football or success. Owning our club for the last four years has been wonderful and had a great pay-off at the end, but it isn't sustainable.

Different people want different things out of football. For my sins, I want the highs and the lows, and I also want my club to be the biggest and best it can be. If that means selling out to a billionaire, so be it. If that means we get screwed over again, nobody will give us sympathy, but that's not really what football's about, is it?

B

BaffinsPompey

Interesting to see opposing fans views on it all.

I suppose, in terms of the Championship not one team lives withing its means techincally - all require significant extra investment on top of gates. There are clubs in that league with much smaller fans bases then Pompey doing well - but they need investment to stay there.

In league 1 it is much the same, we bring in 18,000 fans each home game - which will be by far the biggest crowds in that league next year. But on pure revenue from that it only allows us to pay below average wages for league 1. All/most the other clubs in league 1 are propped up at least to some degree by private investment. so the "all clubs must love to their means" argument is debatable to say the least. If you categorise some afforbale private investment into clubs as "l;iving to means" then yes U agree with you - but 90% of clubs need it these days.

From our perspective well, we already have turned down several offers of interest from parties who were not credible. But Eisner's credibility is pretty first rate, you can track every year of his career and investments, and he comes with a slow and sustained investment plan to move us forward. no fireworks, living to our means as much as possible and growing slowly. NO big transfer fees, more investment in youth and our academy. No over the top wages, more investment in our stadium and facilities. Fans couldn't really choose a more credible invester or a better plan for sensible long term growth.

The alternative? well we need to find an immidiate £5million to make the stadium safe for starters. we could probably do it by putting our hands in our pockets once again. But long term it isn't really viable is it.

There will be no "buying the league" next season. We will stick to an average budget and focus on off the field improvements. I'm more than happy with 2 or 3 seasons in league 1 to get into a better place before we hit the championship, which we will of course eventually. Championship clubs spend tens of millions on wages alone, and we are not ready for that just yet (alebit you never turn down a promotion)

I note all the aggressive messages, "hope it all goes wrong" etc, and I understand your anger to some degree. But ultimately football is about hope and dreams. yes we could trundle along in league 1 for the next 15 years just one fan income, we could even possible jump up another league just on fan income.. but heck you only live once. Are you honestly saying Plymouth would turn down a credible billionaire investing in your club in a sustainable way with long term plans?

We have taken a rigorous and thorough vetting of what seems to be one of the most respected business men I have ever come across. If there was a hint of concern the bid wouldn't have seen the light of day. It is a educated risk, but yes I take your point, ultimately still a risk.

For what it is worth I can see you guys doing well next season, maybe better than us if you keep Carey. Midtable and stabilising in the league is fine for me first year. good luck

Mar 23, 2008
I don't understand why a Pompey fan would post on our messageboard about a takeover? Wish them well and all that but don;t really give a monkeys, as for buying league 1..........not quite how it works is it? All very odd.

B

BaffinsPompey

lol absolutely, I wouldn't have posted but was fascinated to see a whole thread on it on another fan website - always great to see!

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
Agreed, I wouldn't come here to gloat but happy to add another perspective to the discussion.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":2nxiqmbn said:
We have had our own (tenuous) links with the Disney corporation within the last 10 years. Answers on a postcard. :)

Was Kagami's brother something to do with Disneyland Tokyo?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Biggs":1d7xs9hz said:
PL2 3DQ":1d7xs9hz said:
We have had our own (tenuous) links with the Disney corporation within the last 10 years. Answers on a postcard. :)

Was Kagami's brother something to do with Disneyland Tokyo?

:clap: And there was talk at the time that he was asked by Yasuaki to get involved in Argyle.

Also, Yasuaki Kagami was a food supplier to Disneyland Tokyo.

Aug 14, 2015
Well baffins has said what i was going to say..Xisle's post shows has no real clue about Mr Eisner's takeover.

As for a Pompey fan on an argyle site, i live in the city and take an interest in Argyle. However whereas when i moved here 20 odd years ago i was shocked and surprised by some of the vitriol against Pompey, as i had never seen any particular issues between the clubs. We alway hated Scum and had a regular thing with Millwall-but didn't everyone-but that was something to with the Dockers.
However there is a dislike of Argyle in Portsmouth now because of the play off antic of a few idiots. Which places me in an awkward position,

here is a link to Mr Eisner's address to PST-he gives Argyle a mention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxCPcbstVJc

Nov 11, 2012
Keyham
Impressive presentation and hopefully for Pompey he well bring you success. I can see why you have voted for the deal. I lived in Gosport for a few years in the 80's and used to watch Pompey regularly to get my football fix. Good luck

G

Greenskin

BaffinsPompey":1oefomd7 said:
Interesting to see opposing fans views on it all.

I suppose, in terms of the Championship not one team lives withing its means techincally - all require significant extra investment on top of gates. There are clubs in that league with much smaller fans bases then Pompey doing well - but they need investment to stay there.

In league 1 it is much the same, we bring in 18,000 fans each home game - which will be by far the biggest crowds in that league next year. But on pure revenue from that it only allows us to pay below average wages for league 1. All/most the other clubs in league 1 are propped up at least to some degree by private investment. so the "all clubs must love to their means" argument is debatable to say the least. If you categorise some afforbale private investment into clubs as "l;iving to means" then yes U agree with you - but 90% of clubs need it these days.

From our perspective well, we already have turned down several offers of interest from parties who were not credible. But Eisner's credibility is pretty first rate, you can track every year of his career and investments, and he comes with a slow and sustained investment plan to move us forward. no fireworks, living to our means as much as possible and growing slowly. NO big transfer fees, more investment in youth and our academy. No over the top wages, more investment in our stadium and facilities. Fans couldn't really choose a more credible invester or a better plan for sensible long term growth.

The alternative? well we need to find an immidiate £5million to make the stadium safe for starters. we could probably do it by putting our hands in our pockets once again. But long term it isn't really viable is it.

There will be no "buying the league" next season. We will stick to an average budget and focus on off the field improvements. I'm more than happy with 2 or 3 seasons in league 1 to get into a better place before we hit the championship, which we will of course eventually. Championship clubs spend tens of millions on wages alone, and we are not ready for that just yet (alebit you never turn down a promotion)

I note all the aggressive messages, "hope it all goes wrong" etc, and I understand your anger to some degree. But ultimately football is about hope and dreams. yes we could trundle along in league 1 for the next 15 years just one fan income, we could even possible jump up another league just on fan income.. but heck you only live once. Are you honestly saying Plymouth would turn down a credible billionaire investing in your club in a sustainable way with long term plans?

We have taken a rigorous and thorough vetting of what seems to be one of the most respected business men I have ever come across. If there was a hint of concern the bid wouldn't have seen the light of day. It is a educated risk, but yes I take your point, ultimately still a risk.

For what it is worth I can see you guys doing well next season, maybe better than us if you keep Carey. Midtable and stabilising in the league is fine for me first year. good luck

Good post and while Pompey have never been among my favourite clubs [may have something to do with a relative of mine nearly getting maimed with a flying piece of concrete at HP in 1983 or travelling back to Plymouth from Fratton park in a windowless coach on an earlier occasion],looks like another rival a la Reading,Hull,Swansea,Bournemouth [FFS!] etc will be overtaking us again in the near future. I genuinely do believe some posters on here would turn down an offer of serious money in the name of the mythical living within our means mantra -astounding to most fans around the country but that would seem to be the way of some psyches more suited to supporting Mrs Miggins pie shop than an ambitious professional football club.