• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Wales potential qualification

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
The last time Wales qualified for a major finals was 1958. Curiously, they got to Sweden by beating Israel so history could repeat itself. Some people will say that Wales took part in the final stages of the 1976 European Nations Cup. However, prior to 1980 the tournament finals consisted of just four teams and Wales quarter final (against Yugoslavia) was played home and away over two legs and was not part of the finals proper.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I've enjoyed watching their games. Some say it is just Gareth Bale but many a good side have been built around one great individual. Argentina even won the World Cup in 86 with such a set up. I'm pleased for Cookie too. A lot of Welshmen didn't rate his appointment due to his Swansea connections.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
It is often said one man doesn't make a team - but one outstanding (and inspirational) player can make one hell of a difference. Just off the top of my head I can think of three examples from the era I know best. Many people say that had John Charles been fit for their 1958 quarter final v Brazil, Wales may have won. When he was sold to Juventus Leeds took a while to recover. When Harry Gregg was sold by Doncaster to Man U the Yorkshire side were an established second tier side. They have hardly been back there since. When Tom Finney retired PNE were an established Division One side (now PL) but were relegated the season afterwards. To the best of my knowledge they have never been back to the top tier.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
memory man":22jfz9qy said:
It is often said one man doesn't make a team - but one outstanding (and inspirational) player can make one hell of a difference. Just off the top of my head I can think of three examples from the era I know best. Many people say that had John Charles been fit for their 1958 quarter final v Brazil, Wales may have won. When he was sold to Juventus Leeds took a while to recover. When Harry Gregg was sold by Doncaster to Man U the Yorkshire side were an established second tier side. They have hardly been back there since. When Tom Finney retired PNE were an established Division One side (now PL) but were relegated the season afterwards. To the best of my knowledge they have never been back to the top tier.

I'm sure that George Best played Scotland on his own in the 60s (and beat them 1-0?). Wouldn't mind finding that on Youtube, he can't have been as good that day as I remember! :shock: :nworthy:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Pogleswoody":306ppjdg said:
memory man":306ppjdg said:

I'm sure that George Best played Scotland on his own in the 60s (and beat them 1-0?). Wouldn't mind finding that on Youtube, he can't have been as good that day as I remember! :shock: :nworthy:
Good spot. I do remember him getting sent off in an international for throwing mud at the ref. For some reason I think the ref's name was Jennings but would not lay money on that bit of my memory.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Andrew Owen":348djr80 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0-rFqrhIm8

Best throwing mud at the referee.
Vid might give you motion sickness though.
Thanks for that.