Non-League Potential | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Non-League Potential

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Let's not get too excited over non-League players, as it was not long ago a tall Welsh fireman playing in the Welsh League and scoring goals like an automatic rifle signed for Argyle and barely lasted a season. They might shine in a Cup game against a F L team but cannot do the business on a regular basis, when they step up.

I also remember a painful Cup Tie at Home Park, where a part-timer from Stourbridge Town [? was it] had plaudits galore on here, and Argyle were accused of being slow for his signature. Whatever happened to him, I wonder?

Aug 22, 2006
Dan Sweeney! A central midfielder, fairly tall, strong, good energy, can play as a DM or an AM. Outstanding for Kingstonian, had a trial with Ipswich last year, currently plays for Dulwich who top the 7th tier. I think he scored something like 7 goals in his first 7 games. With Boateng back at Palace get this guy in...!

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
MAZZA26":pakjigl8 said:
Dan Sweeney! A central midfielder, fairly tall, strong, good energy, can play as a DM or an AM. Outstanding for Kingstonian, had a trial with Ipswich last year, currently plays for Dulwich who top the 7th tier. I think he scored something like 7 goals in his first 7 games. With Boateng back at Palace get this guy in...!

Having watched him, I agree with Mazza.
Cultured player at Ryman league and could definitely do a job a few leagues higher. Will get an opportunity soon for someone I'm sure.

Jan 27, 2006
Mole":2yu7qck7 said:
Worth keeping a close eye on:
Duncan Watmore, 18 year old, right winger/striker, Altrincham. Watmore is former Manchester United youth team player. So far during the 12/13 season Watmore has put in a number of eye catching performances in the Conference North and has impressed with his pace, creativity and shooting ability, reportedly attracting the attention of Football League scouts. During the 11/12 season in all competitions he made 2 starts (9 sub apps) and scored 1 goal. So far during the 12/13 season he has made 18 starts (9 sub apps) and has scored 9 goals.

Doth's cap.

Nov 18, 2011
Jaime Vardy has organised a week long academy for 42 talented non league players to showcase their skills and receive input from top level coaches. It's taking place this week.

Apparently over 60 clubs from England and abroad are sending scouts, I wonder if Argyle are one of them, could be a good place to pick up some talent on the cheap.